• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

lost job and child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Leddleton

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas
Hi, I currently pay my Ex child support for our 2 children. Unfortunately, due to the cuts in education funding, thus the cuts in teachers in public schools I may not have a teaching position next year. My ex makes in excess of $6000 per month,( he has full custody) I make $2100 because 800.00 of it is for child support and insurance. My question is if I become a housewife, my husband (not my kids Dad) is the only bread winner until I can find a different job. If I become a housewife what happens to my child support.? What do I do in the mean time? I can not afford anymore lawyers. I spent the 30K I got in my divorce on family attorneys fighting for custody. I have nothing.....I am on the verge of bankruptcy. I know the AG in Tx will hear my plea but I haven't seen much action from him. Seems the non-custodial parent has NO rights. I love my kids but I have to be able to keep my home, and buy gas to look for jobs. HelpWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Proserpina

Hi, I currently pay my Ex child support for our 2 children. Unfortunately, due to the cuts in education funding, thus the cuts in teachers in public schools I may not have a teaching position next year. My ex makes in excess of $6000 per month,( he has full custody) I make $2100 because 800.00 of it is for child support and insurance. My question is if I become a housewife, my husband (not my kids Dad) is the only bread winner until I can find a different job. If I become a housewife what happens to my child support.? What do I do in the mean time? I can not afford anymore lawyers. I spent the 30K I got in my divorce on family attorneys fighting for custody. I have nothing.....I am on the verge of bankruptcy. I know the AG in Tx will hear my plea but I haven't seen much action from him. Seems the non-custodial parent has NO rights. I love my kids but I have to be able to keep my home, and buy gas to look for jobs. HelpWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Texas uses a straight percentage of the NCP's income; if you have no income you'd likely have it based on at least 40 hours @ min wage.

In other words - the obligation is likely not going to disappear.

mistoffolees

Texas uses a straight percentage of the NCP's income; if you have no income you'd likely have it based on at least 40 hours @ min wage.

In other words - the obligation is likely not going to disappear.
Or, if OP voluntarily quits a job, the court might impute income equal to her last salary.

BTW, don't you love how she reports her ex's gross income, but reports hers after taking out child support and insurance (and taxes, and 401K, I'll bet)?

Proserpina

Or, if OP voluntarily quits a job, the court might impute income equal to her last salary.

BTW, don't you love how she reports her ex's gross income, but reports hers after taking out child support and insurance (and taxes, and 401K, I'll bet)?

Noted. :cool:

I'd also add for OP:

Bankruptcy, while it does not change or get rid of your child support obligation, would most likely free up resources so you could continue supporting your children.

LdiJ

Once you are sure that you will not have a job, you will need to immediately file to reduce child support. Until or unless its reduced, you will be required to pay the current amount.

You should warn dad that you may be losing your job and therefore the children may be losing their health insurance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">