• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lost Job, question with child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tkdguy

What is the name of your state (FL)

I lost my job on Friday and I am calling my child support office on Monday Morning to tell them what happened and ask what I need to do.

I have two children I am supporting.

Has anyone gone through this recently in FL, and what happens with the court systems? Will it get modified with my unemployment, how long does it take to change. Any help and ideas would be great.

Thanks.

CSO286

What is the name of your state (FL)

I lost my job on Friday and I am calling my child support office on Monday Morning to tell them what happened and ask what I need to do.

I have two children I am supporting.

Has anyone gone through this recently in FL, and what happens with the court systems? Will it get modified with my unemployment, how long does it take to change. Any help and ideas would be great.

Thanks.
Why did you lose your job?
Is the job loss voluntary or involuntary...(be aware--getting fired for stealing stuff on the job could be considered "voluntary" as your actions resulted in the termination).

You obviously need to contact your CSED caseworker, and then apply for unemployment, After that, you need to start papering the city looking for work.

You can request a modification. If they will do it, it can take anywhere from 2-6 months before you end up in court. You may want to consider doing it pro se. You can find info about it here:
Court Programs

That should get you into court sooner.

There is a senior here who is a genius with FL law. Hopefully she'll review your thread and add to my advice.

tkdguy

Thanks CSO,
my unemployment is over a company going out of business. So I said fired as they were letting us all go. The business is remaining open till he finishes with his legal obligations. So I think I fall in a "being let go" I am new to the whole no job thing. I have already rewritten my resume, checked papers, craigslist for jobs and places to submit my resume. I am starting the whole unemployment stuff and I will call CS tomorrow ASAP...
Thanks for your info, CSO...I really wanted to make sure I am not missing anything.

tkdguy

I did get a hold of County Child Support office today and asked what to do. Yep, I knew it too. Try and modify my child support order. Which will take forever, hopefully I will find a job before it takes affect. Or before my ex has my driver's license suspended for failure to pay :)

Not really a lot to do but unemployment and job hunting left. If anyone else has any tidbits, ideas...or a "JOB" let me know -LOL. Thanx to all that have helped and PMed me.

mistoffolees

I did get a hold of County Child Support office today and asked what to do. Yep, I knew it too. Try and modify my child support order. Which will take forever, hopefully I will find a job before it takes affect. Or before my ex has my driver's license suspended for failure to pay :)

Not really a lot to do but unemployment and job hunting left. If anyone else has any tidbits, ideas...or a "JOB" let me know -LOL. Thanx to all that have helped and PMed me.
The only advice is to file immediately. Granted, you won't get the order changed, but it may be possible to get it changed retroactively to the date you file. So the sooner you file, the less of a hole you dig yourself into.

CSO286

Continue make payments--even parital payments. They can show the court that even while struggling to find work, you are still making an effort to provide for your child.
I see this often--the NCP loses his/her job and because they are unable to make a whole payment, they don't send anything. This does not and will not ever help you case.

Now, I've looked and I don't see anything for FL about it, so I'm going to give you MN info on this: Our system does not permit us to suspend driver's licenses if the NCP is making partial payments. In order to do it when we are getting partials, we have really push for it (in court).....Just an added incentive to continue paying SOMETHING!!!!!

You could ask your CSED worker about it. Ask specifically--"If things get really hard, and I can't find work, but I'm still making at least partial payments, are you gonna take my license?"

tkdguy

Thanks CSO. I will make partial payments, not a problem. I was planning to do that anyway. Something is alway better than nothing....So it looks like I may have lined up a job anyway. It is comparable to my old job but I am going to work with the office about this and file anything if I need to. As for suspending my driver's license with partial...in Florida it is something that they don't usually do but is an option..(Hmmm)

Ah, well...keep your fingers crossed I may have a job lined up. I really thank-you for all the help (and just ideas) that you gave me.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">