• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lots of Bills

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bleve69

What is the name of your state? Fl

My ex-wife, on the day of our divorce has moved to DE with my 3 children. I have had to fight her for visitation in DE so my kids can visit me in Florida. I just got a court order and they will be coming down here in this month. She now springs on me that one of my children needs braces, but she stated that it would be benificial, not medically neccesary. Another child of mine wears glasses and she wants me to pay for "Progressive lenses" which she states means they change darkness depending on the ambient light. The Braces are over $4000. I pay child support and it is my sole responsibility to pay for travel expenses for the children when they visit me. She informed me that she would be taking me to court to collect these moneys. I have a couple questions
1) Am I responsible for payment since both of these items are cosmetic. I know this may sound cold but it is not neccesary for my child to have braces she only has small gaps and she is 12. My other child already has glasses.

2) Our dissolution of Marriage states that the court in which state the children live will have jurisdiction, however any matter discerning interpertation of the Dissolution jurisdiction would go back to Florida. This seems that it might be a matter involving interpertation. So if she files in Delaware could I contest on "Jurisdiction"?

Last edited:

atlantabroker

Needs

If you weren't divorced would you get your kids braces or glasses? Focus on what's best for them now what you can force your ex to pay in your absense

BelizeBreeze

Bleve69 said:
What is the name of your state? Fl

My ex-wife, on the day of our divorce has moved to DE with my 3 children. I have had to fight her for visitation in DE so my kids can visit me in Florida. I just got a court order and they will be coming down here in this month. She now springs on me that one of my children needs braces, but she stated that it would be benificial, not medically neccesary. Another child of mine wears glasses and she wants me to pay for "Progressive lenses" which she states means they change darkness depending on the ambient light. The Braces are over $4000. I pay child support and it is my sole responsibility to pay for travel expenses for the children when they visit me. She informed me that she would be taking me to court to collect these moneys. I have a couple questions
1) Am I responsible for payment since both of these items are cosmetic. I know this may sound cold but it is not neccesary for my child to have braces she only has small gaps and she is 12. My other child already has glasses.
You are not responsible for anything other than what the court has ordered.
2) Our dissolution of Marriage states that the court in which state the children live will have jurisdiction, however any matter discerning interpertation of the Dissolution jurisdiction would go back to Florida. This seems that it might be a matter involving interpertation. So if she files in Delaware could I contest on "Jurisdiction"?
This has nothing to do with the dissolution. this is child support. so, unless your support order is part of the dissolution order, it stays in Delaware.

Bleve69

atlantabroker said:
If you weren't divorced would you get your kids braces or glasses? Focus on what's best for them now what you can force your ex to pay in your absense
My one child already has glasses and the other doesn't realy NEED braces. The point is that i cannot afford these extra items with everything that i have to pay now. A child does not need progressive lenses. This is just my X trying to tap me dry so that it is difficult for me to fly my kids to FL for visitation.

LdiJ

Bleve69 said:
My one child already has glasses and the other doesn't realy NEED braces. The point is that i cannot afford these extra items with everything that i have to pay now. A child does not need progressive lenses. This is just my X trying to tap me dry so that it is difficult for me to fly my kids to FL for visitation.
Well...I agree about the progressive lenses....however I would listen to a orthodontist's opinion as to whether or not the child needs braces, rather than yours or mom's.

Braces can also be paid for over time.

VeronicaGia

What does your court order say about out of pocket medical, dental, orthodontic and vision coverage? Read your court order!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">