• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

lowering support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JLM1005

What is the name of your state: PA

In May my husband has a court date to have his current child support obligation lowered. He was laid off and is now making almost $5 less an HR. We also have one child together and another on the way.
I am pretty sure from everything I have read that they will lower the support based on the fact that he has had a decrees in pay and our current child together. But will they take in account the second child that is due in 2 months?
And also his ex used to work and recently quit her job. I guess she figures she can just live on what we have to pay. But will they look at her earning potential when figuring up the new support amount?
It was written in the old court papers that it was to look at her earning potential, but not my husbands because they knew when the order was filed that his job was already in jeopardy.

Thanks in advance for any help. :)What is the name of your state?

GrowUp!

JLM1005 said:
What is the name of your state: PA

In May my husband has a court date to have his current child support obligation lowered. He was laid off and is now making almost $5 less an HR. We also have one child together and another on the way.
I am pretty sure from everything I have read that they will lower the support based on the fact that he has had a decrees in pay and our current child together. But will they take in account the second child that is due in 2 months?
Not until the child is born and that is IF PA takes into account subsequent children. IF PA takes into account subsequent children, he might want to wait until the child is born.

And also his ex used to work and recently quit her job. I guess she figures she can just live on what we have to pay. But will they look at her earning potential when figuring up the new support amount?
If she quit her job voluntarily, she will not be granted any breaks.

It was written in the old court papers that it was to look at her earning potential, but not my husbands because they knew when the order was filed that his job was already in jeopardy.
Earning potential based on what?! That's pretty vague. Plus, the court *could* look at what strides he's made to find comparable employment in the area.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">