• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lying to get out of CS

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bruce78

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?CA

My wife and I suspect her ex of lying about his work situation to get out from paying child support. He informed us recently that he'd been laid off and was applying for unemployment. My wife ceased payment (without closing the case) and decided not to collect CS from him while he was on unemployment. The following week he informed us that he was qualified for unemployment - a lot faster than anyone I have ever known to receive those benefits - and the date it would start. He even filed with our local court that he is going to be receiving these benefits.
On more than one occasion he has shown that he still has his same job - one that he's been working at for the last 5 years or so - but unfortunately the only real evidence that we have is our daughter's first day of Kindergarten. He showed up in his company work shirt, constantly on the phone and both my father and his wife overheard him trying to hire a crew for that days work. When asked, he says he's still unemployed.
Two possible things: One, he did file for unemployment and is receiving that and getting paid under the table, which I believe is illegal. Or two, he's lying about receiving unemployment benefits and filed it that he is receiving benefits with our court, which I'm pretty sure is a huge no - no as well.
What can we do?

Silverplum

My wife and I suspect her ex of lying about his work situation to get out from paying child support. He informed us recently that he'd been laid off and was applying for unemployment. My wife ceased payment (without closing the case) and decided not to collect CS from him while he was on unemployment. The following week he informed us that he was qualified for unemployment - a lot faster than anyone I have ever known to receive those benefits - and the date it would start. He even filed with our local court that he is going to be receiving these benefits.
On more than one occasion he has shown that he still has his same job - one that he's been working at for the last 5 years or so - but unfortunately the only real evidence that we have is our daughter's first day of Kindergarten. He showed up in his company work shirt, constantly on the phone and both my father and his wife overheard him trying to hire a crew for that days work. When asked, he says he's still unemployed.
Two possible things: One, he did file for unemployment and is receiving that and getting paid under the table, which I believe is illegal. Or two, he's lying about receiving unemployment benefits and filed it that he is receiving benefits with our court, which I'm pretty sure is a huge no - no as well.
What can we do?
Nothing.

It's not your business.

Your wife, whose business it is, can sign up here and ask her questions.

mistoffolees

What can we do?
WE can do nothing. Your ex can reopen the CS case.

Bruce78

Let me re - word this. He's lying to get out from paying child support. I don't give a crap about the money and how much he owes my wife. My question is about the way he's going about his lies. Isn't it illegal? Not just he but his boss as well?
My wife has re - opened the case but since he's not on the company's payroll he's not paying anything. They have a court day for mid - October to decide how much is getting taken out of his unemployment.
I know it's not up to me. I'm trying to help my wife with options to put someone who feels that they are above the law in their place. Ultimately, it's her choice. And it is my business cause it's my wife, and what effects her, effects me.
Thanks for your guys' help, I appreciate it.

Just Blue

Let me re - word this. He's lying to get out from paying child support. I don't give a crap about the money and how much he owes my wife. My question is about the way he's going about his lies. Isn't it illegal? Not just he but his boss as well?
My wife has re - opened the case but since he's not on the company's payroll he's not paying anything. They have a court day for mid - October to decide how much is getting taken out of his unemployment.
I know it's not up to me. I'm trying to help my wife with options to put someone who feels that they are above the law in their place. Ultimately, it's her choice. And it is my business cause it's my wife, and what effects her, effects me.
Thanks for your guys' help, I appreciate it.
Let me reword the advice given:

If your WIFE wishes to discuss this on a public forum, then please feel free to give her the site address so that she may ask her own legal question(s).

Thanks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">