• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

mad mom

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fedupinmo

What is the name of your state? MO
MY son's dad seems to think that avoiding child support is the way to go. He's over 7,000 behind and our son is 4. We live in two different states which makes things complicated when it comes to getting anything done. How do I get him to pay like he's supposed to?

Neal1421

fedupinmo said:
What is the name of your state? MO
MY son's dad seems to think that avoiding child support is the way to go. He's over 7,000 behind and our son is 4. We live in two different states which makes things complicated when it comes to getting anything done. How do I get him to pay like he's supposed to?
Have you filed for contempt of court for non-payment?

fairisfair

OMG, exact same time, almost the exact words, scary huh?? ooh neal, even creepier, look at the post numbers, almost the same. cue twighlight zone music.

fedupinmo

No I have not I can't afford to go to court. I have continued to call child support enforcement and they did finally get his wages garnished then he quit his job.

fairisfair

fedupinmo said:
No I have not I can't afford to go to court. I have continued to call child support enforcement and they did finally get his wages garnished then he quit his job.
have you spoken to CSE regarding other remedies or actions that may be available? When didyou receive your last support payment?

GrowUp!

fedupinmo said:
CSEA will only be able to do so much for you (i.e. suspend license, put a lien against property), but that's about it.

The only way you'll get any action/remedies is by taking him to court. Simply file a Motion to Show Cause in the court of jurisdiction. It will cost you the filing fee, but in your Motion to Show Cause, request that the other parent pay for all court costs & filing fees. If you don't do this, then you're letting him get away without paying.

tigger22472

Reality is you can't MAKE him do anything. Yes if you get him into court and the thought of jail is scary to him AND the judge keeps setting hearings up for compliance you MIGHT get somewhere... but A) you have to get him served first (My ex successfully avoided that for 3 yrs) and B) not let him convince a judge that he cannot keep coming to court and that he's going to continue to pay.

About all CSE could attempt to do for you other than what was mentioned is file the paperwork to have his tax checks redirected to you. However, do not get excited with that either, often times parents like this work under the table and don't pay taxes and I've even known a few that don't file...

GrowUp!

tigger22472 said:
However, do not get excited with that either, often times parents like this work under the table and don't pay taxes and I've even known a few that don't file...
Or they adjust their withholdings so they don't have a refund and wind up owing...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">