• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Making voluntary payments after divorce is filed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

equinox1216

What is the name of your state? OREGON (me) West Virginia (wife/child)

Since seperation from the wife, I have been sending voluntary child support checks to her.
Now that she has filed for divorce, is it in my best interest to a) continue making these payments, or b) stop making any child support payments until the court orders it?

I have been told that BOTH of these actions are the best thing to do. I need to know if either action can cause changes in the divorce/child supoort/alamony decisions by the court, or any other possible outcomes.

Also, I have postponed making further payments until I could secure an answer to this question, so now I am behind almost a week in my normal scheduled payment, so a speedy answer would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

PhilWhat is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
TRUTHFULLY, without an order the best thing to do is to bank the payment and get a child support order. Most of what people pay without an order is considered a gift. there are cases where it is not however those are few and far between. You need to get a child support order and pay according to that.

equinox1216

Thank-you

I just want to thank you, Ohiogal, for the speedy reply, and the information you provided. I had a feeling it might be something like that. Now I know how things are, I can act appropriately.

Phil

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
OH and next time you post try to include the state where any orders or residency is. Wasn't sure if it was Oregon or WV -- who moved where or when and where the divorce was going to be filed. Was guessing WV because that was mom and child's state but it may not necessarily be that.

equinox1216

Advisement taken

Thanks again. I will remember that for the future.

And you were right, x-wife and Daughter live in WV where the divorce is being filed. I had moved to Oregon.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">