• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Man Terrorizes His Narcoleptic Ex Over Child Support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Autumn Redstorm

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? This would involve the state of Indiana and Texas.
I have a sister that has Narcolepsy, as well as other health problems. She is moving up here to Indiana from Texas so that I can help take care of her and get her Narcolepsy under control. She can't work, drive or function as a normal person. We are also in the process of trying to get her on social security disability. This poor girl has been through a nightmare. Now....Here is the problems of the moment...Her Ex-husband is terrorizing her and threating her because she is suppose to pay child support for her son but can't do it. She just can't do it. She has not been able to pay for years because of her disability and the fact she has no income. Now that he learns she is moving to Indiana (in just a few days) to get her life in order he is threating to take her to court. He says she'll have to come back to Texas to attend the court date and if she dos not return he will have her arrested, extradited back to Texas were she will rot in jail. Now we have no financial resources to get her back to Texas if she needs to attend a court date AND we definatly don't have the resources to get her out of jail. It was a struggle just to raise the money to get her up here to Indiana.

Can this guy do this to her? And if so, what can we do to stop him? This is not right, she is not trying to dodge him. She is trying to get on her feet so that she can provide some sort of support for her son. As well as make a life of her own.

I would really appreciate any advice you can give to me.

Shelley

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
He's not doing anything out of line, expecting Mom to help support the kids. Has she done anything to try and have the CS modified due to her medical issues? 'Cause those arrears aren't going away on their own.

Last edited:

nextwife

Agreed.

It is entirely possible, if this condition already existed, that the CS was already adjusted to reflect a lower degree of CS from her, based upon a more modest ability to work. There ARE jobs one can do at home, via internet, that have some flexibilty and she could work around her sleep episodes, such as investigating or collections calls. Has she even attempted to find anything like that?

I also know RE agents that pay to have mailings prepaired for their "farm" area, stuffing the envelopes, putting labels on, sorting by zip. It's not a lot of money, but she could do SOMETHING to help support her kids.

Last edited:

stepmom65

stealth2 said:
He's not doing anything out of line, expecting Mom to help support the kids. Has she done anything to try and have the CS modified due to her medical issues? 'Cause those arrears aren't going away on their own.
I agree also...the arrears will continue to build...You can't just stop paying. If that was the case, no one would collect their CS...

rmet4nzkx

The mother can appear by telephone either as allowed under the rules of the court or as an ADA accommodation. She needs to petition the court to modify CS, for SSI until she is approved for SSDI, if she is approved for SSDI, her child will receive benefits which will replace CS and any back payments can go towards paying arrears, she really needs an attorney familiar with both family and disability law. Did she get any spousal support?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">