• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Marrying a man with children from previous relationship?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Blueberry19

My boyfriend has a child from a previous relationship. If I marry my boyfriend, will the courts take my income into consideration when deciding how much child support he should pay?

Also if he is unable to pay at sometime, will paying support become my legal responsibility?

One more thing, if there are any unexpected legal things concerning this that I should know about before getting married, please tell me!

(I am Canadian he is American living in PA and his previous girlfriend lives in NY. I don't know if this makes a difference.)

Last edited:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
No, your income will not be taken into account. You are not responsible for his child support obligation. If he can't or won't pay, then he will suffer the consequences.

As for other issues... If you understand your place in the dynamic (i.e. not a parent, more like a close family friend who does not involve herself in their legal issue, etc.), it should be quite smooth. If, however, you don't? It will be rough for all involved.

Antigone*

My boyfriend has a child from a previous relationship. If I marry my boyfriend, will the courts take my income into consideration when deciding how much child support he should pay?

Also if he is unable to pay at sometime, will paying support become my legal responsibility?

One more thing, if there are any unexpected legal things concerning this that I should know about before getting married, please tell me!

(I am Canadian he is American living in PA and his previous girlfriend lives in NY. I don't know if this makes a difference.)
As already stated you are not responsible for this child, but I want to open your eyes to a possibility. If he gets arrested for not paying child support and needs to pay a purge amount to get our of jail will you put up with this man being in jail or will you pay the purge?

If he is not paying support now, if you have kids what makes you think he will pay support to you when you split?

Blueberry19

As already stated you are not responsible for this child, but I want to open your eyes to a possibility. If he gets arrested for not paying child support and needs to pay a purge amount to get our of jail will you put up with this man being in jail or will you pay the purge?

If he is not paying support now, if you have kids what makes you think he will pay support to you when you split?
He pays support, all though he is a little behind.(He lost his job, but has a new one now)

I would pay for him to get out of jail, but I can't imagine him ever going to jail for this because he is good with paying.

As for kids.. I don't plan on having kids until I am much older and married. I am only 19. So no worries there.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
He pays support, all though he is a little behind.(He lost his job, but has a new one now)

I would pay for him to get out of jail, but I can't imagine him ever going to jail for this because he is good with paying.

As for kids.. I don't plan on having kids until I am much older and married. I am only 19. So no worries there.
Good Lord! Why do you want this baggage this early?

Blueberry19

Ditto that!
Lol.. maybe I'm crazy? I really love him. I'm asking these questions because I want to make sure.

I just don't have much money on my own, because I am young, so I was worried if they'd look to me for money at some point if things went badly.

I know it's a hard path so I wanted to know what I was getting into.

mistoffolees

In addition to all the other advice you've gotten, I will suggest that you simply read this forum for a while. You'll get an idea of the kinds of problems that can come up - and (usually) how they can be avoided.

Going into things with eyes wide open is always a good idea.

And congratulations on asking your questions before you find yourself in a problem situation. Forewarned is forearmed.

CJane

How old is he?
How old is the child?
How long have he and Mom been split up?
What is his relationship like with Mom now?
How often does he see the child?

Blueberry19

How old is he?
How old is the child?
How long have he and Mom been split up?
What is his relationship like with Mom now?
How often does he see the child?
He is 23. They have been split up for... well since before the child was even born. The child is 4, and the mother is 28. He doesn't have a relationship with her at all, they don't talk, he just pays support. They weren't really in a serious relationship, he was young and wasn't thinking of the consequences of his actions. She wanted a baby, and that's how this came to be. So he's never seen the child at all.

Blueberry19

In addition to all the other advice you've gotten, I will suggest that you simply read this forum for a while. You'll get an idea of the kinds of problems that can come up - and (usually) how they can be avoided.

Going into things with eyes wide open is always a good idea.

And congratulations on asking your questions before you find yourself in a problem situation. Forewarned is forearmed.
Thank you. I will be checking around. I don't plan on interfering, I just want know and understand what arises in this sort of situation.

He also has a lot of debt for not paying child support while he wasn't working. He didn't tell the courts he was out of work.. He didn't realize he should. That's why I want to research so I can keep him out of any situation like that again.

Last edited:

Just Blue

He is 23. They have been split up for... well since before the child was even born. The child is 4, and the mother is 28. He doesn't have a relationship with her at all, they don't talk, he just pays support. They weren't really in a serious relationship, he was young and wasn't thinking of the consequences of his actions. She wanted a baby, and that's how this came to be. So he's never seen the child at all.
How sweet...Do you really want to hook up with a ...person...That makes a child and yet does not bother with the child??

Blueberry19

How sweet...Do you really want to hook up with a ...person...That makes a child and yet does not bother with the child??
I didn't come here to have you harshly judge my boyfriend. I don't appreciate such sarcasm. I'm not just "hooking up" with someone either, this is the person I am seriously considering spending the rest of my life with.

I just wanted legal advice. So please, keep such comments to yourself. I am aware of how everyone else may see him, and would love to judge him. However, the mother made it clear she didn't want him in her life and he doesn't want to be with her either. They don't even live in the same state anymore.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">