• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medicaid and child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Ohio

I don't know if this is the right place to post this, and if not I apologise.

Father had custody of his daughter for 4+ years. Father's employer does not offer health insurance, so mother and father were ordered to split daughter's medical costs 50-50. Daughter moved back in with her mother in September. Mother owes father a little over $5000 in back support. Mother goes to welfare office to apply for a medical card for daughter. (Supposedly) mother is told that since she owes back child support to her ex husband that she must pay 1/4 of her arrears before they will give daughter a medical card.

Is this a load of crap...or is mother telling the truth?

VA_Mom

Is this a new employer that the father has? If so, I would think that there would be no back support since it is 50/50. I assume the father did cover the child through health insurance at one point which left the mother with a portion of the insurance bill she never paid.

Does mother work? Why can't she put the child on her health insurance policy?

VA_Mom said:
Is this a new employer that the father has? If so, I would think that there would be no back support since it is 50/50. I assume the father did cover the child through health insurance at one point which left the mother with a portion of the insurance bill she never paid.

Does mother work? Why can't she put the child on her health insurance policy?
Mother has not worked in over a year...which is why she is behind on the child support she owes father.

Mother and father were each ordered to pay half of all medical costs for the child (that's where the 50-50 comes in)...because father works for an Amish construction company, and they don't offer health insurance. In reality, father knew that since mother wouldn't even pay support, that he would never get half of the medical, so he paid 100% of the medical for the 4+ years he had custody.

I think you may have misunderstood my first post. Father had full custody, mother had visitation, and had to pay support to the father. Only the medical was split 50-50.

Whyte Noise

MomIsWorried said:
What is the name of your state? Ohio

I don't know if this is the right place to post this, and if not I apologise.

Father had custody of his daughter for 4+ years. Father's employer does not offer health insurance, so mother and father were ordered to split daughter's medical costs 50-50. Daughter moved back in with her mother in September. Mother owes father a little over $5000 in back support. Mother goes to welfare office to apply for a medical card for daughter. (Supposedly) mother is told that since she owes back child support to her ex husband that she must pay 1/4 of her arrears before they will give daughter a medical card.

Is this a load of crap...or is mother telling the truth?
I've never heard of that. Doesn't mean it's not true, but in my almost 40 years on this rock that's the first time I've heard of that particular story.

Call them yourself... just to get some "general info". Tell them you're thinking about getting medical on your child but owe back support and ask if that would in any way effect you being able to get your child covered. Remember... you're just asking for information.

Call them yourself... just to get some "general info".
Hmmm...now why didn't I think of that? :eek:

Thanks MissouriGal...it's the day before Thanksgiving, and my head is swarming with a million other things. :)

VA_Mom

The state ensuring that a child has proper medical coverage should not be linked to a parent's child support arrearages.

As for the arrearages, if the mother choose not to work, she needs to go get a job and pay back those arrearages immediately. If she was out of work due to health related reasons, she needs to contact child support enforcement immediately and see if she can have the past year support reduced. They might say no because a review of the case had not been requested at the time. Either way do not leave that hanging out there.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">