• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medical Appointments

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mandik

What is the name of your state? WI
My husbands x keeps setting medical appointments without notifying him. The court order states that they need to inform the other 7 days before. She has been taking them to a psycologist, and not informing him the outcome of the therapy. When she gave him the first and only update, it was different than the doctors. He said that the doctor was evasive with him wqhen he called.
The most recent issue was a few days ago when she said she set an appointment and said that she needed to check to see if insurance covered the procedure first. She never got back to my husband and took his daughter to the appointment. She now said that insurance did not cover and will send him the bill. It will be several hundred dollars. This was not a nessicary appointment.
He has joint custody and the order says that he needs to be involved with decisions. Any addice would be appreciated. Can he refuse to pay for unnessicary bills that she set without informing him? He did already send a letter warning her. The child support office aslo sent her a letter telling her that she needs to tell him about the appointments. Thanks!

S

secondserving

mandik said:
What is the name of your state? WI
My husbands x keeps setting medical appointments without notifying him. The court order states that they need to inform the other 7 days before. She has been taking them to a psycologist, and not informing him the outcome of the therapy. When she gave him the first and only update, it was different than the doctors. He said that the doctor was evasive with him wqhen he called.
The most recent issue was a few days ago when she said she set an appointment and said that she needed to check to see if insurance covered the procedure first. She never got back to my husband and took his daughter to the appointment. She now said that insurance did not cover and will send him the bill. It will be several hundred dollars. This was not a nessicary appointment.
He has joint custody and the order says that he needs to be involved with decisions. Any addice would be appreciated. Can he refuse to pay for unnessicary bills that she set without informing him? He did already send a letter warning her. The child support office aslo sent her a letter telling her that she needs to tell him about the appointments. Thanks!
If there is language in the order that specifies a parent is to be given notice to scheduled appointments, then they can most certainly refuse to pay the bills. If the parent has a history of doing this, I would suggest filing a Show Cause for Contempt. He should make sure the language is very clear on this.

As far as the Doctor being evasive, I wouldn't be so quick to draw that conclusion. Because of HIPPA and privacy laws, medical professionals now refuse (or are very very hesitant) from talking about a patient over the phone -- even with a parent just because they don't want to fall victim to a trick/set-up and wind up being sued.

mandik

"If either parent schedules any medical appointments for the children, they shall notify the other parent of said appointment at least seven days prior to the scheduled appointment or within 24 hours after any non-scheduled appointment." I am assuming non scheduled means emergency. Thanks.

Zephyr

well he can't just decide not to pay medical bills, no matter if mom provided notice or not, he has an order that states he pays half, he has to pay half until he seeks relief through the courts

Zephyr

mandik said:
Some of these appointments were not nessicary.

does his order say that he can choose which medical bills to pay based on whether he thinks they are NECESSARY?

LdiJ

Zephyr said:
does his order say that he can choose which medical bills to pay based on whether he thinks they are NECESSARY?
Seriously...unless the order gives him the right to not pay medical bills if he didn't get proper notice, then he has to pay.

However, he can file contempt against mom for not properly notifiying him.

However....I am going to add something here. Sometimes parents feel the need to seek semi-emergency or emergency care for their children that turns out not to be "necessary". In fact, I suspect that EVERY parent has done that at one time or another.
In fact, my daughter did that for my 7 week old granddaughter just TODAY**************and was really embarrised when her panic turned out to be nothing.

Gum_Drop

not to Hijack....

but when i was 21 and my first child was 1 week old, me and my husband, (neither of whom had ever babysat, and aside from what we read in books we were about as dumb as a box of rocks when it came to babies) rushed him to the ER, it was a Sat. cause his umbilical cord STANK... I felt so stupid when the triage nurse (older lady), chuckled said sweetie its rotting flesh its SUPPOSED to stink.

Lifes little lessons, then I went home and called my mom and Gripped at her for 20 mins, for not telling me this when i called and said we were taking him to the ER.

She said it was something I had to do as a new mom to appease myself and fears...

My insurance Company HATED me, I swear I was a hyprocondriac with my first child.

4 kids later, we go for well baby visits and shots... LMAO

mandik

I have a six week old baby, and I FREAKED when his cord stunk. I think I almost went to the emergency room before I called my mom and she said it was normal.

mandik

Update

Okay... She scheduled about 10 medical appointments without proper notice in 3 months.
Court order said to provide copies of BILLS. She has refused for 3 years to send bills. She was sending receipts. Child Support told her to give Bills. Guardian told her to give copies of bills. We finally called to get copies of bills from insurance. There was a REFUND to her. Out of the two we called on, one had a refund. My husband filed a contempt motion. This is in addition to other issues. We did have a reason to be upset about this. We now have to go back and request copies of all bills because she refused to provide them. Has anyone seen a situation like this in court, where someone was refunded for medical bills and hid it?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">