• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

medical bills

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

plcbug

What is the name of your state?MS

Can you sue for payment of back medical bills? If so, how far back can I sue? The court order states that the non custodial parent is to pay half of all medical bills.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

plcbug said:
What is the name of your state?MS

Can you sue for payment of back medical bills? If so, how far back can I sue? The court order states that the non custodial parent is to pay half of all medical bills.

My response:

How old are the bills?

Were the bills presented to the NCP within 30 days of the medical service?

What is the total amount owed by the NCP?

IAAL

P

plcbug

MS
The bills have been over the past 5 years. The most recent major bill was last August. What is the NCP? The total amount is around 10,000. The bill for last summer was 5,800.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

plcbug said:
MS
The bills have been over the past 5 years. The most recent major bill was last August. What is the NCP? The total amount is around 10,000. The bill for last summer was 5,800.

My response:

NCP = Non-Custodial Parent.

Now, please answer ALL of my questions.

IAAL

P

plcbug

MS

Yes he has been notified of each within 30 days. Two of the bills are approximately 5 years old. The first two combined total about $4,000.The other bill is almost 1 year old. This bill totals $5,800. The bill from a year ago was a direct result of the NCD. The son had to have surgery on his hand after an altercation with the NCD. The NCD kicked my son in the groin because he called the NCD a wimp.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

plcbug said:
MS

Yes he has been notified of each within 30 days. Two of the bills are approximately 5 years old. The first two combined total about $4,000.The other bill is almost 1 year old. This bill totals $5,800. The bill from a year ago was a direct result of the NCD. The son had to have surgery on his hand after an altercation with the NCD. The NCD kicked my son in the groin because he called the NCD a wimp.

My response:

First, the "reasons" for the bills are completely irrelevant. The only things that are relevant to your issue is whether the bills exist, and whether the NCP has paid his share.

Initially, MS has a 3 year Statute of Limitations on written debts. Therefore, as far as the 5 year old bills are concerned, he won't have to pay you. You waited too long to prosecute your rights under your court orders. You should have gone back to court for an "Order to Show Cause" when he failed or refused to pay you, or pay the medical provided directly.

If there are any bills that are less than 3 years old, you may want to finally think about exercising your rights under the current court orders. Until you do, nothing is going to get done, and you'll be the one stuck with the entire amounts of the bills.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">