• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medical Bills

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thoche

What is the name of your state? Louisiana

My ex husband is responsible for half of the medical bills for my children. Sometimes he waits more than a month to pay me back. What is the legal time frame that one has to pay back for medical bills? Being that payment is due when services are rendered, I am fronting up his share and then having to beg and wait for reimbursement.

Also, my daughter has learning disabilities. She had her first professional evaluation when we were married. Currently, she is being re-evaluated, so she can have accomodations for SAT testing. It has also been recommended that she be started on medications to improve her concentration. My ex states that this is not medically necessary and does not feel he is responsible for the evaluation, although for the first eval, he was in no way opposed. My health insurance pays 80% after a deductable is met. Is he legally responsible for helping me to pay for the evaluation and the cost of the medication?

Thank You,
Cheryl

NotSoNew

thoche said:
What is the name of your state? Louisiana

My ex husband is responsible for half of the medical bills for my children. Sometimes he waits more than a month to pay me back. What is the legal time frame that one has to pay back for medical bills? Being that payment is due when services are rendered, I am fronting up his share and then having to beg and wait for reimbursement.
what does your court order say?
are your submitting the bills to him?
or just asking him for payment?

thoche said:
Also, my daughter has learning disabilities. She had her first professional evaluation when we were married. Currently, she is being re-evaluated, so she can have accomodations for SAT testing. It has also been recommended that she be started on medications to improve her concentration. My ex states that this is not medically necessary and does not feel he is responsible for the evaluation, although for the first eval, he was in no way opposed. My health insurance pays 80% after a deductable is met. Is he legally responsible for helping me to pay for the evaluation and the cost of the medication?

Thank You,
Cheryl
again what does your court order say? does it say both parties must mutally agree or does it say that in the event that parties cant agree that the CP has the final say?

VeronicaGia

If there is nothing in your court order, you will have to dig through Louisiana law to see if it is mentioned. If not, you may have no recourse unless he doesn't pay for months and months.

MrsK

Yup, unless your court order states how long he has to pay, he can drag it on and on and on. You need to get a court order stating how long he has to pay.

Does your court order say ANYTHING about it or if ya'll have to agree for their to be an evaluation? He can refuse to pay for it & you'd have to take it to court & I imagine the judge would need proof from you as to why its medically neccessary.

Otherwise you could be getting her all kinds of treatment he doesnt agree with & he would have to pay for it. Not exactly fair to the NCP, esp when there are CP's who do things like refuse to use someone on the insurance list, etc (not saying you are doing this, but it happens...)

Situations like these are why ppl should have things like this spelled out specifically in court orders.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">