• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

medical bills

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin

I don't know if I'm posting in the right area or not, but will give it a shot.

I am NCP parent and pay child support of my children. Long story short that we ended up back in court and my ex, CP brought up medical bills that my now 18 year old and 17 year old children accumulated for the last 5 years and wants me to pay half. It is agreed that I am to pay half of all medical with our parenting agreement stating that we are to notify the other parent before any appointments or ASAP in regards to emergencies. My ex never let me know of any appointments or any medical bills until now, when we go to court. I know just because our parenting agreement states that we are to notified doesn't let me off the hook of not paying half, but my question is....does half include me paying for contacts that ex paid for?? I agree to pay half of the eye exam and glasses, but think it's dad's responsibility to pay for the contacts, unless he would have asked me first if I would pay half??

Let me know what you think.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I'd argue against paying anything that you were not notified of. As for contacts, give me a break -- that is NOT the argument to make. Can your child see?

I already went that route with not being notified and it doesn't matter in the judges' eyes. My ex is stating abour $2,000 is my half for the last 4 years and it is now just being sprung on me. My ex has to get me copies of all the bills by 3/1/09, but I saw many of bills for eye exams and glasses, which I'm not complaining about paying, but am complaining about contacts(which I remember seeing many of those, too). I just think if ex wants to bear the extra cost of contacts without notifying me or asking me first to split the cost, then he should have to be stuck. Any ideas or thoughts?

spinmaster61

I already went that route with not being notified and it doesn't matter in the judges' eyes. My ex is stating abour $2,000 is my half for the last 4 years and it is now just being sprung on me. My ex has to get me copies of all the bills by 3/1/09, but I saw many of bills for eye exams and glasses, which I'm not complaining about paying, but am complaining about contacts(which I remember seeing many of those, too). I just think if ex wants to bear the extra cost of contacts without notifying me or asking me first to split the cost, then he should have to be stuck. Any ideas or thoughts?
What doees your agreement specificaly state?

It just states that the other parent is to be notified before all appointments and if an emergency, the other parent is to be notified ASAP. The agreement states that medical is split between the parents.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">