• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medical bills

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bethannes71

Illinois. My ex and I have joint custody of my son who is now 14. My ex took my son to get new eye glasses at a place i didnt agree on and now he says I have to pay him half. Our divorce papers read..any uncovered medical,hospital,dental,orthodontic,psychiatric,and prescription drug expense not covered by insurance shall be shared equally. It says nothing about optical or glasses. Since he took my son where I didnt agree I'm not paying him half. He is now refusing to pay half of my sons medical bills..ex:school physical,prescriptions and a ct scan. Am I liable to pay half of the glasses which were 300.00? Do I take him to court because hes refusing to pay medical bills now?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

mistoffolees

Yes, you can take your ex to court for not paying the medical expenses.

Or, the two of you can grow up and stop trying to use your child as a pawn.

OHRoadwarrior

Is this really a hill to die on? Why don't you try negotiating an amount you feel is fair, if you consider that excessive.

bethannes71

Is this really a hill to die on? Why don't you try negotiating an amount you feel is fair, if you consider that excessive.
I have tried working something out with him but he wont budge. Our son got in trouble while at his dads house and was put on probation and was ordered to pay 300.00 in probation fees and I got stuck paying that because my ex refused to pay it and if it didnt get paid my son wouldve suffered. So I told my ex we are even on the bills but he doesnt think so

bethannes71

Yes, you can take your ex to court for not paying the medical expenses.

Or, the two of you can grow up and stop trying to use your child as a pawn.
Im not using my son as a pawn. If you even knew half the stuff my ex and his wife have put me through. This all started a month ago with him not paying medical bills because his wife was trying to steal my identity and get a copy of my credit report. My ex took the blame for it and at his first court appearance the states atty told him he could be looking at a year in prison and a 250,000.00 fine so this is the reason hes acting like this

OHRoadwarrior

It is a shame that both of you have made it this far and won't make the last 4 years, working together for your son. No one here can try and referee this battle. As previously mentioned though, yes, you can file contempt on half of the medical. All I can suggest is both of you should consider the others ability to pay, when extras come up. Good Luck.

mistoffolees

It is a shame that both of you have made it this far and won't make the last 4 years, working together for your son. No one here can try and referee this battle. As previously mentioned though, yes, you can file contempt on half of the medical.
And then ex will file for contempt on the glasses. And their legal expenses will be greater than the amount of money involved.

And then next year, they'll repeat the same silly process.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I have tried working something out with him but he wont budge. Our son got in trouble while at his dads house and was put on probation and was ordered to pay 300.00 in probation fees and I got stuck paying that because my ex refused to pay it and if it didnt get paid my son wouldve suffered. So I told my ex we are even on the bills but he doesnt think so
Your son should have paid the fees. Seriously, that was HIS PUNISHMENT. Your son would've suffered? He did the crime and he should have paid the penalties!

You and dad need to grow up. You owe half the glasses and he owes half the medical. And your child? Deserves not to be the only mature one in the group. Because I am taking bets he is more mature than you and dad together.

bethannes71

You don't think your son not having the ability to see properly is MEDICAL?:confused:
Yes I do but MEDICAL insurance doesnt pay for glasses and I have paid for his glasses for the last 5 years and got nothing from his father. When you have JOINT custody both parents are to agree on where the child gets treatment and his father went somewhere against my wishes.

bethannes71

And then ex will file for contempt on the glasses. And their legal expenses will be greater than the amount of money involved.

And then next year, they'll repeat the same silly process.
How can he file contempt on the glasses? It states nowhere that glasses are an included expense. Medical insurance doesnt cover glasses,that would be OPTICAL insurance....correct??

bethannes71

Your son should have paid the fees. Seriously, that was HIS PUNISHMENT. Your son would've suffered? He did the crime and he should have paid the penalties!

You and dad need to grow up. You owe half the glasses and he owes half the medical. And your child? Deserves not to be the only mature one in the group. Because I am taking bets he is more mature than you and dad together.
And how would you suggest a 14 year old pay?? He was actually 12 at the time and he DID do chores around the house for me and some extras. I didnt let him off scott free by no means.

jbowman

Just my opinion but it sounds like your not agreeing is just an excuse not to pay for the glasses. You didnt agree with the doctor he went to, why? Ugly office? Mean eye doctor?

If you child needs glasses, then you should pay half. Then you will be reimbursed half of the medical bills. Sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do. I mean, kids DO need to see. You agree right?

A judge will be pretty mad if you bring this to court. Its sort of embarrassing.

mistoffolees

How can he file contempt on the glasses? It states nowhere that glasses are an included expense. Medical insurance doesnt cover glasses,that would be OPTICAL insurance....correct??
If medically necessary (which they almost always are), glasses are a medical expense - whether covered by insurance or not.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">