• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medical Bills ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mfoote

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

My son's father is court ordered to pay half of all medical bills that are not covered by insurance. Can I have his wages garnished for reimbursement?

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

My son's father is court ordered to pay half of all medical bills that are not covered by insurance. Can I have his wages garnished for reimbursement?
What exactly does the court order say regarding reimbursement for medical bills? Does it give guidelines for how and when you are to present the bills to Dad? If so, have you followed those guidelines?

mfoote

It does not say. It only states that all medical bills not covered by insurance are to be split 50/50 between us. Since I am the custodial parent all the bills come to me. He has never repaid me for any. In fact, he is supposed to carry insurance on him but never has. If I didn't garnish his wages for child support he would have never paid that either.

mistoffolees

It does not say. It only states that all medical bills not covered by insurance are to be split 50/50 between us. Since I am the custodial parent all the bills come to me. He has never repaid me for any. In fact, he is supposed to carry insurance on him but never has. If I didn't garnish his wages for child support he would have never paid that either.
Your state does allow for the state to garnish medical support orders:
Indiana Child Support Law, Indiana State Child Support Enforcement, Indiana Child Support Laws: Supportkids

However, I'm not sure what exactly is covered and whether your order qualifies. I would suggest that you take a copy of your divorce decree to the state child support collection office and talk with them to see if you're covered.

If not, you'll probably need to file for contempt.

Have you provided him with receipts showing the medical expenses in a timely manner? As in, within a month of the expense being incurred? If not, you may or may not be able to get reimbursed since it is not spelled out in your order in regards to timelines.

My DH never bothered sending receipts to his ex since she wasn't even paying her CS, much less anything else. He didn't feel the need since he knew she wouldn't pay. Down the road when the state finally put her in jail over the child support, he asked about those expenses and was told that they wouldn't be usable since he didn't provide copies of receipts in a timely manner to her.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">