• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

medical bills in father's name

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Schwippsy

:eek:
What is the name of your state? IL

Hello, facts are as follows: Two baby boys who were covered on father's insurance have been taken to family care practician, for over a year now they are covered under mother's health insurance.
Bills that incurred while on mother's health insurance are paid right away.
Now doctor's office refuses to schedule a routing check-up, because the father has not paid about $400 medical bills form over a year ago. Mother and father are seperated, no court order yet. Billing collector now says they will put it into collection and add the mother's name to the collection. Mother has no access to previously used health insurance and cannot confirm charges made to the father. Can the doctor's office refuse to make appointments, if all charges of current health plan are covered and more importantly, can they put the charge against the mother's credit, although the bill is in the father's name.:confused:
Huih, sorry didn't get this in shorter and I am not sure which forum would be the best place for my answer.
Thank you guys for your responses.
As always it is very much appreciated.
Have a great weekend.
Schwippsy

LdiJ

:eek:
What is the name of your state? IL

Hello, facts are as follows: Two baby boys who were covered on father's insurance have been taken to family care practician, for over a year now they are covered under mother's health insurance.
Bills that incurred while on mother's health insurance are paid right away.
Now doctor's office refuses to schedule a routing check-up, because the father has not paid about $400 medical bills form over a year ago. Mother and father are seperated, no court order yet. Billing collector now says they will put it into collection and add the mother's name to the collection. Mother has no access to previously used health insurance and cannot confirm charges made to the father. Can the doctor's office refuse to make appointments, if all charges of current health plan are covered and more importantly, can they put the charge against the mother's credit, although the bill is in the father's name.:confused:
Huih, sorry didn't get this in shorter and I am not sure which forum would be the best place for my answer.
Thank you guys for your responses.
As always it is very much appreciated.
Have a great weekend.
Schwippsy
I would make it VERY clear to the doctor that you will take legal action against him if he attempts to put the father's bills in your name.

And then I would find a new doctor.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Also, there is no REQUIREMENT that the doc treat the kids in this case.

L

lisan23

If you guys are still legally married they can go after both of you. However, have you tried working with their office? Explaining that you guys have been separated for XX amount of time and that you were clueless about these charges until now. Are the charges for the children? If so, you should find receipts/check copies or something to show everything you've paid out for medical expenses in the last year. (Or however long it has been.) Then take the amount that he owes the doctor and split in half. (I'm guessing it would be $200.) If what you've paid in the last year out of pocket doesn't equal this amount (is less), then pay what would be left on your half. This way you've paid your fair shair of out of pocket medical expenses. Then tell your soon to be ex that the remaining amount is his half to pay after you deducted all of the $$ you've paid out in medical expenses in the last year. Also, make your separation legal. If you don't you'll probably run into more situations like this.

LdiJ

If you guys are still legally married they can go after both of you. However, have you tried working with their office? Explaining that you guys have been separated for XX amount of time and that you were clueless about these charges until now. Are the charges for the children? If so, you should find receipts/check copies or something to show everything you've paid out for medical expenses in the last year. (Or however long it has been.) Then take the amount that he owes the doctor and split in half. (I'm guessing it would be $200.) If what you've paid in the last year out of pocket doesn't equal this amount (is less), then pay what would be left on your half. This way you've paid your fair shair of out of pocket medical expenses. Then tell your soon to be ex that the remaining amount is his half to pay after you deducted all of the $$ you've paid out in medical expenses in the last year. Also, make your separation legal. If you don't you'll probably run into more situations like this.
This advice is not accurate at all. I have to echo what other posters have said on other threads. You need to stop giving legal advice unless you are familar with the specific laws of the poster's state.

Just Blue

This advice is not accurate at all. I have to echo what other posters have said on other threads. You need to stop giving legal advice unless you are familar with the specific laws of the poster's state.
I don't think even ONE of her posts contain even a smidgen of truth...:(

nextwife

If there is no CO for dad to specifically pay those bills, I would think that both parents SHARE the responsibility for payment of any OOP expenses for their kids, regardless of whose insurance was used.

LdiJ

If there is no CO for dad to specifically pay those bills, I would think that both parents SHARE the responsibility for payment of any OOP expenses for their kids, regardless of whose insurance was used.
No...its not that simplistic under credit/debt law....which is what would apply if there are no orders.

nextwife

Exactly, they are BOTH exposed, credit wise, if the payments are not made, therefore either sitting back and waiting for the other to pay will come back to bite them. Therefore they should work out an agreement and get it paid.

LdiJ

Exactly, they are BOTH exposed, credit wise, if the payments are not made, therefore either sitting back and waiting for the other to pay will come back to bite them. Therefore they should work out an agreement and get it paid.
No...they aren't both exposed.

Schwippsy

Thanks a lot

Thanks for all the responses, but honestly I am not clear yet what to go by or not, since the responses are not going in the same directions. I guess I needed to state that we have never been married. That obviously makes a difference?!
I did bring the kids to all the doc appointments, but the first 1.5 years on the father's insurance. Then he decided to quit his job - go figure so that a court will not make him pay much when it comes to a child support order- So since last year they are on my insurance, I pay the monthly fees, annual deductibles, co-payments, etc. since and all those bills have been paid from my end. Since he pays little support every now and then as he pleases, I am not in a position to pay his bills.
I have now made app. with a different pedeiatricians office to get this boy his shots. The other office would not even take a payment, they want it in full or I can't schedule further appointments, regardless of them knowing that they had no payment issues since the boys are on my account.
Again, can they hold me responsible for payments that I cannot confirm, since his insurance of back then would not release records/ payment adjustment to me?
Really, really appreciate your responses.
Schwippsy

LdiJ

Thanks for all the responses, but honestly I am not clear yet what to go by or not, since the responses are not going in the same directions. I guess I needed to state that we have never been married. That obviously makes a difference?!
I did bring the kids to all the doc appointments, but the first 1.5 years on the father's insurance. Then he decided to quit his job - go figure so that a court will not make him pay much when it comes to a child support order- So since last year they are on my insurance, I pay the monthly fees, annual deductibles, co-payments, etc. since and all those bills have been paid from my end. Since he pays little support every now and then as he pleases, I am not in a position to pay his bills.
I have now made app. with a different pedeiatricians office to get this boy his shots. The other office would not even take a payment, they want it in full or I can't schedule further appointments, regardless of them knowing that they had no payment issues since the boys are on my account.
Again, can they hold me responsible for payments that I cannot confirm, since his insurance of back then would not release records/ payment adjustment to me?
Schwippsy
It wise that you are switching doctors. Its sad that you have to do so, but its wise.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Schwippsy
Yes being married makes a difference. Plus the fact that you brought the kids to all the doctor's appointments. Yet you expect him to pay? Without a court order you are NOT ALLOWED to make him legally responsible for doctor's bills that you incurred for the children. You should be able to get records of payments from the doctor's office themselves. But you are responsible for bills that you have incurred. Without a court order why would you expect dad to pay any of it?

fedupinIL

You need to go to court and get a court order for child support and other expenses The RIGHT thing would be for him to help pay the bills but that doesn't always happen. If you pay the bills yourself, you might be able to bring all of your receipts and canceled checks to court with you and ask to be reimbursed half of what you have paid out of pocket.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">