• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medical coverage deductible responsibility in NC

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NC_step_dad

The bio-dad of my stepson is a constant thorn. His latest trick is that when we found out that his son was no longer carried on his health insurance, as he should be per the divorce agreement, he rushed to put him on a policy where technically he is covered but for all practical purposes the coverage is useless because it has a sky high deductible before anything is covered. The "child" in question is 19 and lives with his mother and me full time.
Who is legally responsible for the boy's medical bills?
How, if possible, do we force this lowlife to pay the bills?
I almost forgot, to add insult to injury, his fourth wife and her kids are on the same plan, so whenever we pay something towards the boy's medical expenses, we reduce his family's deductible, which helps him out.
He owes back child support from when the boy was a child. I'm "this close" to going after him for it but I don't know if the cost and aggravation would be worth it. Is there a statute of limitations on that?

Silverplum

The bio-dad of my stepson is a constant thorn. His latest trick is that when we found out that his son was no longer carried on his health insurance, as he should be per the divorce agreement, he rushed to put him on a policy where technically he is covered but for all practical purposes the coverage is useless because it has a sky high deductible before anything is covered. The "child" in question is 19 and lives with his mother and me full time.
I almost forgot, to add insult to injury, his fourth wife and her kids are on the same plan, so whenever we pay something towards the boy's medical expenses, we reduce his family's deductible, which helps him out.
He owes back child support from when the boy was a child. I'm "this close" to going after him for it but I don't know if the cost and aggravation would be worth it. Is there a statute of limitations on that?
I'm not answering due to excessive emotional attacks upon the father of the child.

Get over yourself. :rolleyes:

CSO286

a. the court order should spell out who is responsible for what portions of the medical expenses. (If even, as the age of majority in your state is 18, but up to 20 if the child is still in high school. https://ocsp.acf.hhs.gov/irg/profile.html?selection=STA&stateGeoBox=37 )
b. "We" don't do anything. Mom may have some options, but that's on her to try and sort out.
c. You have no rights to "go after him" for any past due support.

And as an aside, you should not be calling the child's FATHER names, that is incredibly inapprpriate.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
The bio-dad of my stepson is a constant thorn.
He is dad. NOT bio-dad. YOU are legally no one. But thanks for the unnecessary attack.

His latest trick is that when we found out that his son was no longer carried on his health insurance, as he should be per the divorce agreement, he rushed to put him on a policy where technically he is covered but for all practical purposes the coverage is useless because it has a sky high deductible before anything is covered.
And? Not your business.

The "child" in question is 19 and lives with his mother and me full time.
At 19, he is an adult. Not a child.

Why should dad pay the bills? Maybe mom's bedwarmer should be responsible. You know, the legal stranger that sleeps with the boy's mother. OH yeah. That would be you. How dare you insult the child's father. YOU ARE NO ONE HERE. Learn your place.
You can't go after him for anything. Deal with it. You have no standing. YOU ARE A BIG NOBODY HERE. Maybe your wife should get off her butt, grow up and own her legal issues. Other than that, you have no say so. Tell your wife to step up and deal.

Just Blue

"spit"

If you are going to be an overinvolved Step at least TRY to not be nasty regarding the DAD of your stepchild. :mad::mad:

OHRoadwarrior

When you chose mom, you chose all her decisions. If you do not like her decisions to continue supporting her 19 year old, divorce her and walk away from her and her problems.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">