• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medical coverage and expenses

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BattleDad

Hi, Florida resident here.

I'm wanting to know if I can be reimbursed by my ex for providing medical, dental, vision benefits for our son when not being ordered to do so?

I'm also trying to find out if I can require my ex to pay for the co pays, prescriptions, or treatment of our son since I provide the insurance?

Here is some background information that may assist in answering the above questions. We have a Final Judgment establishing a parenting plan that does not address medical coverage or costs. We have 50/50 shared custody in which it is ordered the father is to claim the child as a dependent and the mother was awarded the school district. Since the relationship was terminated I have provided health, dental, and vision coverage for our son for 3 years at a cost of $4800 annually. During this 3 year period all co pays, prescriptions, or treatment were either paid in full by me or equally split. Recently our son has required some dental work and I asked my ex to pay the full amount since I pay for insurance premiums. My ex refuses to do so. Is there anything that I can do to make my ex pay a fair/equal amount of medical coverage/cost expenses??? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am new to the forums and apologize if I posted this in the wrong section please notify me of where would be appropriate. Thanks!

Just Blue

Hi, Florida resident here.

I'm wanting to know if I can be reimbursed by my ex for providing medical, dental, vision benefits for our son when not being ordered to do so?

I'm also trying to find out if I can require my ex to pay for the co pays, prescriptions, or treatment of our son since I provide the insurance?

Here is some background information that may assist in answering the above questions. We have a Final Judgment establishing a parenting plan that does not address medical coverage or costs. We have 50/50 shared custody in which it is ordered the father is to claim the child as a dependent and the mother was awarded the school district. Since the relationship was terminated I have provided health, dental, and vision coverage for our son for 3 years at a cost of $4800 annually. During this 3 year period all co pays, prescriptions, or treatment were either paid in full by me or equally split. Recently our son has required some dental work and I asked my ex to pay the full amount since I pay for insurance premiums. My ex refuses to do so. Is there anything that I can do to make my ex pay a fair/equal amount of medical coverage/cost expenses??? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am new to the forums and apologize if I posted this in the wrong section please notify me of where would be appropriate. Thanks!
Why wasn't such an important issue addressed in the custody/support proceedings? And who, before the split, paid for the child medical/dental care?

BattleDad

Why wasn't such an important issue addressed in the custody/support proceedings? And who, before the split, paid for the child medical/dental care?
I do not know why it was not addressed or included. Before the split our son received Medicaid and whatever expenses were incurred were our responsibility although I am the only one that has ever and is working. We were never married. I provide the coverage because I love my son and it's the right thing to do. I'm simply looking for a way to make the expenses more fair.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You're not going to get anything retroactive. Going forward, you could file for a modification in court.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I mean will my ex have the opportunity to address anything other than what I want to address or would my ex have to file separate modification for their concerns?
The answer is the same. She could take the opportunity to address other modifications. I would suggest that you consult with a local attorney for details.

BattleDad

Okay, thank you both for the responses. If anyone else has a similar case to mine please feel free to post how you were able to resolve it. Whether in court or out of.. Thanks

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
From what I have seen, one parent generally provides insurance, and then both parents pay (a pro-rated amount, based on proportional income) uninsured expenses - co-pays, etc.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">