• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medical debts and child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

babycakes1223

No, I'm not being sarcastic (or scartiscatic, either). (Me? Sarcastic. Never. :rolleyes:) You must be 18 to enter into a legally binding contract. Someone under 18 can sign anything they want and the other party can not enforce it. If you're underage, you could promise to pay me $10,000,000 and get me a date with Sandra Bullock - and I couldn't enforce it.

Now, it's possible that your parents signed the contract and agreed to pay - in which case you should be reimbursing them as you receive the money from your ex. Or, perhaps, the hospital has agreed to let you pay, but if you stop paying, they may have an agreement requiring your parents to pay at that time. But if the contract with the hospital was in your name, it might not be enforceable. Take it to an attorney for evaluation.

Then what you can do is subpoena the company's records. Ask the court to order the company to turn over the pay records. Or you can ask the judge to order him to comply at your next hearing. Threats of jail time sometimes accomplish miracles.

Also, ask that the increase in child support (if any) be made retroactive to the date you filed for child support. So his delays will buy him some time, but he may eventually have to reimburse you for all the time of his delays.
Sould i put in a Subpoena or a Subpoena for Production of Specified Documents, Objects or Tangible Things? Do I send it to his work? Or his house (i dont know where his house is). dose the attorney general have to be there? do i contact them to deal with this? Id rather do it on my own

babycakes1223

Sould i put in a Subpoena or a Subpoena for Production of Specified Documents, Objects or Tangible Things? Do I send it to his work? Or his house (i dont know where his house is). dose the attorney general have to be there? do i contact them to deal with this? Id rather do it on my own
They did grant back support for 3 years baced on his estimated income. retroactive would be the file date or the 3 years back?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
No, I'm not being sarcastic (or scartiscatic, either). (Me? Sarcastic. Never. :rolleyes:) You must be 18 to enter into a legally binding contract. Someone under 18 can sign anything they want and the other party can not enforce it. If you're underage, you could promise to pay me $10,000,000 and get me a date with Sandra Bullock - and I couldn't enforce it.

Now, it's possible that your parents signed the contract and agreed to pay - in which case you should be reimbursing them as you receive the money from your ex. Or, perhaps, the hospital has agreed to let you pay, but if you stop paying, they may have an agreement requiring your parents to pay at that time. But if the contract with the hospital was in your name, it might not be enforceable. Take it to an attorney for evaluation.

Then what you can do is subpoena the company's records. Ask the court to order the company to turn over the pay records. Or you can ask the judge to order him to comply at your next hearing. Threats of jail time sometimes accomplish miracles.

Also, ask that the increase in child support (if any) be made retroactive to the date you filed for child support. So his delays will buy him some time, but he may eventually have to reimburse you for all the time of his delays.
Except for necessary things. And because she was pregnant she was MEDICALLY EMANCIPATED. Which means since the hospital treatment was necessary and she was medically emancipated that she is responsible for the bills for HER child.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
It is too late to subpoena things because an appeal does NOT deal with NEW evidence -- only a review of all the evidence already submitted.

babycakes1223

How soon can I file for child support modification if needed? I have not been able to verify how much is made. The NCP's income is estimated. Can I subpoena his paystubs to verify how much is made before making a modification, if one is needed?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

mistoffolees

Except for necessary things. And because she was pregnant she was MEDICALLY EMANCIPATED. Which means since the hospital treatment was necessary and she was medically emancipated that she is responsible for the bills for HER child.
I found a lot of information that says a pregnant minor is medically emancipated and may make MEDICAL decisions, but can't find anything that says that she is therefore legally able to enter into a contract to pay.

I came across a 'doctrine of necessities' which says that someone can be ordered to pay for necessary expenses for a spouse even if they never agreed to, but I can't find anything saying that doctrine would apply here. Does it? Or is there a similar doctrine for necessary bills?

Just Blue

Lets see, I was 16 when the child was conceived and the NCP was 21.. What dose that tell you? huummm.. think about it. I was UNDERAGED! The NCP said that he would be there for me but left within 5 months into the pregnancy. do you think that I purposely planed my kid to be born with defects? "Don't have more kids until you can afford it." I already learned my lesson, too bad the NCP didnt. And that is the best advice that you can give.
Dose? Are you aware the a "dose" is what your free clinic will give you (OP)after you show up with ....stuff...on your ...stufff.

The word is DOES. Does. Learn it. love it. repeat it.

:)

Just Blue

So pretty much is ok to lie cheat and steal? Visitation, im glad he dose not see the child but im a good person I gave the option to, some mothers dont let the fathers see their child. It takes 2 to tango. The child support enforcement in Illinois is pretty good, unless he dosent want his drivers license. but unfortunately you would need an order and in my case the order was not what it should have been. Not asking for him to pay all of the debt but at least half.

If i was as old as the father, witch I am now, yah I would have thought about family morals, but unfortunately i was only 15 at the time and being a kid thinking kid things.
DOES. DOES DOES DOes.

Just Blue

sould i put in a subpoena or a subpoena for production of specified documents, objects or tangible things? Do i send it to his work? Or his house (i dont know where his house is). dose the attorney general have to be there? Do i contact them to deal with this? Id rather do it on my own
does does does.

babycakes1223

I found a lot of information that says a pregnant minor is medically emancipated and may make MEDICAL decisions, but can't find anything that says that she is therefore legally able to enter into a contract to pay.

I came across a 'doctrine of necessities' which says that someone can be ordered to pay for necessary expenses for a spouse even if they never agreed to, but I can't find anything saying that doctrine would apply here. Does it? Or is there a similar doctrine for necessary bills?

I dont think that the doctrine for necessary would be applyed here because we were never married.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I dont think that the doctrine for necessary would be applyed here because we were never married.
Well you can still be made to pay your own medical bills. You were old enough to create a baby, carry a baby and have a baby. You are therefore LEGALLY old enough to provide for said baby. Including MEDICAL treatment.

mistoffolees

Well you can still be made to pay your own medical bills. You were old enough to create a baby, carry a baby and have a baby. You are therefore LEGALLY old enough to provide for said baby. Including MEDICAL treatment.
I believe you, but I can't find anything about that. I can find medical emancipation - which clearly applies, but it doesn't say anything about affecting the legal ability of a child to enter a contract.

Can you point me to the right documentation?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">