• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medical/Dental/Other expenses

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mws05

What is the name of your state? Mississippi

We have joint legal & physical custody. The ex is suppose to pay one half of the portion of medical insurance premium attributable to covering the children, one half of the decutible and any portion of medical, dental and prescription drug expenses not covered by such insurance, and one half of all extrordinary school expenses and extracurricular activies expense incurred by the children.

The ex does not want to pay for braces that the Orthodontist says are necessary and does not want to pay for our daughter's school drill team cost. He says because he can not afford it, he isn't going to pay.

He says that the dentist and the orthodontist are not necessary and should be kept to the bare minimum. The children go twice a year to get their teeth clean, which the insurance pays the majority of. This last visit to have this done ended up costing $6.00 after insurance, which made his half - $3.00.

My question is: If our court agreement says he has to pay for these items, can he just say he isn't going to pay for something because he can't afford and not pay for it? What can I do?

mws05

Phnx02

mws05 said:
What is the name of your state? Mississippi

We have joint legal & physical custody. The ex is suppose to pay one half of the portion of medical insurance premium attributable to covering the children, one half of the decutible and any portion of medical, dental and prescription drug expenses not covered by such insurance, and one half of all extrordinary school expenses and extracurricular activies expense incurred by the children.

The ex does not want to pay for braces that the Orthodontist says are necessary and does not want to pay for our daughter's school drill team cost. He says because he can not afford it, he isn't going to pay.

He says that the dentist and the orthodontist are not necessary and should be kept to the bare minimum. The children go twice a year to get their teeth clean, which the insurance pays the majority of. This last visit to have this done ended up costing $6.00 after insurance, which made his half - $3.00.

My question is: If our court agreement says he has to pay for these items, can he just say he isn't going to pay for something because he can't afford and not pay for it? What can I do?

mws05
He can say this, but he's in contempt and has to pay. If you can't get him to pay the only thing you can do is file contempt and then a judge will order him to pay. He may get his wages garnished or be threatened with licsence suspension or jailtime if he doesn't agree.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">