• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

medical excuse from child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

singlemom47

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? pa- is there a certain amount of time when a medical excuse from a doctor can no longer be used to get out of paying child support. My ex is friends with a doctor and hasn't paid child support in almost 2 years because his doctor friend writes an excuse that he is physically unable to work. he is working under the table fixing cars and going on vacations as I struggle working and raising 2 teenagers without child support.

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? pa- is there a certain amount of time when a medical excuse from a doctor can no longer be used to get out of paying child support.

No.

My ex is friends with a doctor and hasn't paid child support in almost 2 years because his doctor friend writes an excuse that he is physically unable to work. he is working under the table fixing cars and going on vacations as I struggle working and raising 2 teenagers without child support.

Have you actually asked the court to impute your ex at minimum wage?

He's not on SSDI/SSI, correct?

singlemom47

No.

Have you actually asked the court to impute your ex at minimum wage?

He's not on SSDI/SSI, correct?
no he is not on SSDI/SSI however, he says he is trying to get SSDI. its been almost 2 years though. i wasn't aware that asking the court to impute him at minimum wage would over ride a medical excuse from a doctor.

Proserpina

no he is not on SSDI/SSI however, he says he is trying to get SSDI. its been almost 2 years though. i wasn't aware that asking the court to impute him at minimum wage would over ride a medical excuse from a doctor.

Unfortunately anybody can claim to be disabled if they think it will serve their purpose. A doctor's note is NOT proof of disability when it comes to child support. Go back to court, and make Dad prove that he's disabled.

If he qualifies for SSDI (that will depend on his work history), the children will be entitled to dependent benefits (usually in lieu of child support). If he doesn't, but is still deemed disabled and instead gets SSI you're pretty much out of luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">