• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

medical expense differences in paternity cases

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

m5634

What is the name of your state? KS

After looking thru some documentation for my brother, I located the orginal petition for CS in 95. A year before it was filed, the bio-Mom had filed for support for same child, different man. Comparing the 2 reports, the bio-Mom has the 1st man owing $50.05 for Aug. 94-Sept. 94 for medical expenses. The child support petition that she filed against my brother says he owes $220.67 medical expenses for Aug. 94-Sept. 94. The time period is the same for both men. $170.00 increase against my brother. Knowing the bio-Mom is less than an honest person, and this case has always been about money to her, and not the child. Is this something that should be investigated, and who would need to be contacted about this?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
m5634 said:

After looking thru some documentation for my brother, I located the orginal petition for CS in 95. A year before it was filed, the bio-Mom had filed for support for same child, different man. Comparing the 2 reports, the bio-Mom has the 1st man owing $50.05 for Aug. 94-Sept. 94 for medical expenses. The child support petition that she filed against my brother says he owes $220.67 medical expenses for Aug. 94-Sept. 94. The time period is the same for both men. $170.00 increase against my brother. Knowing the bio-Mom is less than an honest person, and this case has always been about money to her, and not the child. Is this something that should be investigated, and who would need to be contacted about this?
Who was found to be the legal father? How was that done?

fairisfair

m5634 said:

So she came up with receipts for additional expenses in the time between accusing #1 and #2. And this is from 12 years ago??? give it a rest.

Gracie3787

fairisfair said:
So she came up with receipts for additional expenses in the time between accusing #1 and #2. And this is from 12 years ago??? give it a rest.
I agree, it's way too late for OP's brother to contest the medical.

OP- if your brother cannot trust his ex, he needs to be extra diligent in his recordkeeping to protect himself.

m5634

Your right! It's too late. Can't prove it's probably just another one of her lies.

Your right. It is too late to do anything.

After he finally saw the Mom’s motives, lies, etc. he did start keeping very detailed records. I know he didn’t have the child support petition of the other man, so he wouldn’t have any reason to question the amount.

I found the discrepancy when I looking thru the support petition from the 1st man she alleged was the father. I didn’t have that document until earlier this year.

This bio-Mom and her boyfriend have falsified school enrollment documents, and income tax documents, etc.

She had the same attorney for both child support petitions. Just makes me wonder if her attorney made her prove her increase in actual medical expenses or if he just took her word for it. She lied to attorney last year, as it wouldn't surprise if she lied to her first attorney about this.

Paternity wasn’t established until late 1996 of my brother being the father.

fairisfair

don't you think you are just a tad too involved in your brother's business??

Try taking the role of a supportive aunt, it will be better for everyone involved.

m5634

I am....

a very supportive Aunt. This child has the emotional support of everyone on the Dad's side of the family even though we live a good 14 hours drive from him. While the grandparents, aunts, uncles & cousins on Mom's side have nothing to do with this child, and they live within an hour of the child.

I am very proud of my brother, and his child and what they both have accomplished despite all the negative actions of the Mom, step-dad, & older siblings. The child is very well behaved, respectful to others and is doing very well academically.

The child was failing at school when Mom had custody. Child was also witnessing domestic violence, drug abuse, alcohol abuse, etc.

As far as me getting involved in my brother's business, he has asked me to.

I know there are good attorneys and bad attorneys, just as there good & bad in all professions. The attorney that he had back in 2000, died in 2001. That attorney was actually interested in working & watching out for this child's best interest.

The attorney he had last year, by not doing what my brother hired him to do, put my brother's child in harms way.

My brother has spent well over $10,000, just in attorney fees. He could have been putting this money away to send his child to college.

Now this year he had to hire another attorney, to go back to court to protect his child's physical, emotional & mental well being, due to the Mom, step-dad, & siblings conduct.

My brother has asked me to help him with organizing, examining, and collecting court documentation. He needs to keep his attorney fees down. His attorney is very supportive with me helping out with the case.

If you want more information as to why my brother & his child need all the support they can get, I have posted on the child visitation forum. The title is: Suspended visitation rights/Name Change That posting is just a general overview of what this child has had to endure. That doesn't include the emotional & mental abuse inflicted upon this child.

I'm not against Mom's or against Dads. I am merely looking out for the best interest of this child. If my brother was irresponsible and not taking care of his son, he wouldn't have the support of me & the rest of our family.

If this child was still in his Mom's care, I would bet a million dollars, this child would end up in trouble with the law. I don't think tax paying citizens want to support another prisoner, when something could be done to help prevent that.

rmet4nzkx

First of all the other man's paternity case records should be confidential, especially if he was proven not to be the father. You didn't state beyond when paternity was proved for your brotherand it is entirely possible that other case files/records may indeed be sealed and you may only have part of the story. If your brother opens up this issue, it is liable to cost him more money back to the child's birth. Let it be. YOur intentions may be good but the results may interfere more than help.

fairisfair

m5634 said:
a very supportive Aunt. This child has the emotional support of everyone on the Dad's side of the family even though we live a good 14 hours drive from him. While the grandparents, aunts, uncles & cousins on Mom's side have nothing to do with this child, and they live within an hour of the child.

I am very proud of my brother, and his child and what they both have accomplished despite all the negative actions of the Mom, step-dad, & older siblings. The child is very well behaved, respectful to others and is doing very well academically.

The child was failing at school when Mom had custody. Child was also witnessing domestic violence, drug abuse, alcohol abuse, etc.

As far as me getting involved in my brother's business, he has asked me to.

I know there are good attorneys and bad attorneys, just as there good & bad in all professions. The attorney that he had back in 2000, died in 2001. That attorney was actually interested in working & watching out for this child's best interest.

The attorney he had last year, by not doing what my brother hired him to do, put my brother's child in harms way.

My brother has spent well over $10,000, just in attorney fees. He could have been putting this money away to send his child to college.

Now this year he had to hire another attorney, to go back to court to protect his child's physical, emotional & mental well being, due to the Mom, step-dad, & siblings conduct.

My brother has asked me to help him with organizing, examining, and collecting court documentation. He needs to keep his attorney fees down. His attorney is very supportive with me helping out with the case.

If you want more information as to why my brother & his child need all the support they can get, I have posted on the child visitation forum. The title is: Suspended visitation rights/Name Change That posting is just a general overview of what this child has had to endure. That doesn't include the emotional & mental abuse inflicted upon this child.

I'm not against Mom's or against Dads. I am merely looking out for the best interest of this child. If my brother was irresponsible and not taking care of his son, he wouldn't have the support of me & the rest of our family.

If this child was still in his Mom's care, I would bet a million dollars, this child would end up in trouble with the law. I don't think tax paying citizens want to support another prisoner, when something could be done to help prevent that.
Sounds like you are all doing a good job. Choose the important battles, $170 from 12 years ago, isn't one of them. Good luck to you all.

m5634

Thanks fairisfair!

I appreciate your understanding in the situation.

As far as the battles go, we are very careful because we don't want this child to suffer anymore.

$170.00 as opposed to what the child has gone thru, there isn't any price or comparison that can be put on that.

As the child continues with therapy, I am sure there are things that will come out, that will be hard for my brother to handle. He already feels bad for what the child was put thru last summer, and doesn't want a repeat.

Thanks for the support!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fairisfair

rmet4nzkx said:
First of all the other man's paternity case records should be confidential, especially if he was proven not to be the father. You didn't state beyond when paternity was proved for your brotherand it is entirely possible that other case files/records may indeed be sealed and you may only have part of the story. If your brother opens up this issue, it is liable to cost him more money back to the child's birth. Let it be. YOur intentions may be good but the results may interfere more than help.
yes, maybe they should be, but they aren't. They are court cases and are available for public viewing, only thing blocked out is usually the addressses and social security numbers. You can even review the DNA test reports!!

rmet4nzkx

fairisfair said:
yes, maybe they should be, but they aren't. They are court cases and are available for public viewing, only thing blocked out is usually the addressses and social security numbers. You can even review the DNA test reports!!
While it is truue that many court cases are available to the public, some aresealed or confidential to all except he parties. This may vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiciton. Since we don't know the rules for the jurisdiction, I simply pointed out that is a possibility, the same for DNA test results. Please don't make absolute statements when you don't know or make any reference. To prove a point, I will cite a reference to such confidentiality protection for paternity issues.
Disclaimer

All information provided by the Superior Court of California, County ofxxxxxxx, through this Internet service is provided "as is", with no warranties, express or implied, including the implied warranty of fitness for a particular purpose. Notwithstanding any representation to the contrary by any court agent, the xxxxx Superior Court, furthermore, does not guarantee or warrant the correctness, completeness or utility for any general or specific purpose of the data available through the access of this site. In no event shall the xxxxx Superior Court be liable for any damages, of any nature whatsoever, arising out of the use of, or the inability to use this service.

The Following Case Information is NOT Available On-Line:
- Address (if party is in Pro Per) - Criminal

- Minutes
- Adoption - Juvenile

- Paternity
- Conservatorship - Mental Health

- Traffic

The court has chosen to exclude the above information from access via the Internet. If the information is not confidential by law, or you are a party to the action, you may obtain the information at the Clerk’s Office of the applicable court location. The system will not advise you if a case is on the system but not available via Internet, instead you will receive an error message “Case not found”. Open Access data is designed to be updated twice daily.
How to Obtain Additional Information:

Case information is available at each court location. The courts cannot provide name search inquiry over the telephone. If you are unable to locate the case, you may contact the court where you believe the case is on file, and request a search.

By Mail:

Send a check or money order in the amount of $5.00 for EACH NAME to be searched. Include a self addressed stamped envelope for return mailing.

In Person:

Go to the court location in which you believe the case is filed. Conduct a search on the microfilm machine in the lobby.

If the court finds any cases they will provide you with the case numbers. If you wish additional information, please contact the appropriate court for information on obtaining copies. There will be an additional fee.
In this case Paternity is only available to the parties, whereas criminal is available to the public through the clerks office and different courts in the same state post criminal or traffic cases, but usually not paternity. We don't know in what jurisdiciton paternity or child support cases were filed, but OP is opening up a can of worms at this point.

Please don't give absolute statements without a citaiton to support your statement. See You told OP what she wanted to hear, not necessiarly what was fact ot law.

fairisfair

RMET
your blah blah blah

OMG I have tried to refrain from saying it, although many others have been unable to refrain, but you are just an outright pain in the butt, rmet. Even when someone agrees with you, you find a way to disagree. So let me point out, that the information you posted has absolutely nothing to do with the state of Kansas. And your ability to cut and paste is renowned and revered by all.:rolleyes: Quite obviously this information is in fact available as the OP HAS IT!

Last edited:

rmet4nzkx

fairisfair said:
RMET

OMG I have tried to refrain from saying it, although many others have been unable to refrain, but you are just an outright pain in the butt, rmet. Even when someone agrees with you, you find a way to disagree. So let me point out, that the information you posted has absolutely nothing to do with the state of Kansas. And your ability to cut and paste is renowned and revered by all.:rolleyes: Quite obviously this information is in fact available as the OP HAS IT!
You made an obsolute statement that cannot be supported by citaiton
They are court cases and are available for public viewing, only thing blocked out is usually the addressses and social security numbers. You can even review the DNA test reports!!
You or any poster will be challenged when making such statements, it is possible that OP obtained the information by stating that they were party or they may have been inadvertantly given access to both cases, we simply don't know how they got that information, but acting on it will more than likely open a can of worms.

So what if I am a pain on the butt, it is a tough job but someone has to do it.

fairisfair

rmet4nzkx said:
You made an obsolute statement that cannot be supported by citaiton You or any poster will be challenged when making such statements, it is possible that OP obtained the information by stating that they were party or they may have been inadvertantly given access to both cases, we simply don't know how they got that information, but acting on it will more than likely open a can of worms.

So what if I am a pain on the butt, it is a tough job but someone has to do it.
Oh so you are implying that you are employed by Free Advice website??? you said that this information was confidential and sealed, prove that. did you even read the post? they have had the information for 12 years, he has been paying support for 12 years, he has already been paying for the child since birth.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">