• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

medical expenses

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mt0497

What is the name of your state?IN
I am required to pay a portion of medical expenses once the mother has paid her $961. I provide insurance for the children through my employment. Can she legally give the medical institution my name, address and ss# to have the bill sent directly to me? I am not responsible for this bill until she meets her requirements. Is that correct?

Phnx02

mt0497 said:
What is the name of your state?IN
I am required to pay a portion of medical expenses once the mother has paid her $961. I provide insurance for the children through my employment. Can she legally give the medical institution my name, address and ss# to have the bill sent directly to me? I am not responsible for this bill until she meets her requirements. Is that correct?
Is the $961 a 50/50 share once the yearly deductible is met or what? Your post is a bit confusing. If you provide insurance for the children, then you should know what the claims status is at all times, and what bills are still outstanding beyond this dollar amount, from your regular benefits/claims statements. Generally, outstanding doctor bills are sent to whichever parent took the child to the doctor. However, as the insurance holder, they could be sent directly to you as well. Depends on how the doctor or insurance company handles this. Either way, since you carry the insurance, and get these statements, you know this information the same as she, if not before. If it's a 50/50 share, she isn't responsible for the bill either until you meet your half. Stop playing games.

mt0497

IN
Let me clarify my previous entry a little bit. She has custody. We both carry insurance on the children. She is required to pay the first $961 dollars that insurance does not pay. I am required to pay a poriton after that. She is putting the bills in my name (with my SS#) and having them sent directly to me. She has not met her portion of the bills. Can she legally put my name on the bill and leave me with the bad credit?

MtnMoon

To pay or not to pay? Pay and you're responsible...don't and your credit is at risk

Well...it's highly suggested that you contact the office sending you the bills and inquire whether you are obligated to pay when you did not sign the authorization for treatment. Do this in writing so you have documentation. Ask them to provide proof to you in writing how you became obligated when you did not sign the authorization for treatment. They might very well send the bills to your ex if she is the one that signed.

If you do not intend to pay the bills because you feel you do not owe them, you should consult with an attorney as soon as possible to protect your rights. If you start sending payments...that might establish you are taking responsibility for the charges. It's a sticky matter.

This same thing happened to a friend of mine, and he was contacted by a collection agency regarding the outstanding balance due...simply because his ex put down his name as the responsible party and he refused to pay. He did not consult with an attorney. He called the doctor's office once and told them he wasn't going to pay since he didn't authorize the treatment. Unfortunately, the doctor's office didn't care about that. They sent the bill to collections after sending him statements for 3 consecutive months. This went on his credit report. Ick.

Good luck!

haiku

when it comes to minors, in the end parents, regardless of who is the responsible party become responsible for thier childrens bills.

you will likely need to speak to the billing department and explain your situation in detail.

if the ex is not paying her share, take her to court for contempt.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">