• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medical Insurance not court ordered.....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SWIowaGal

What is the name of your state? Iowa

My husband has custody of his two boys and he is not required to have insurance on them, their mother is. However, we also do have insurance on them, including dental and vision just recently. Before the custody switch, she agreed to pay 1/2 of the dental and vision insurance because, of course, it will also benefit her greatly. Now she is claiming she is not going to pay it. Do we just have to bite the bullet? I am assuming we do even though I have a writtten confirmation e-mail from her. If she doesn't want to pay it fine, but then I don't think she should benefit from it, do you know what I mean?

P.S. Now that she has to pay my husband child support, she thinks she's living in poverty. Amazing how things change once the shoe is on the other foot. She used to be a poster on here and all she did was complain and complain.

Also, the Judge figured the CS wrong that she is to pay to my husband. The judge has also denied our motion 2 times. Can we file a Petition on our own to have a hearing to raise the child support, or would it have to be an application of some kind just for a short court hearing.
Thanks

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? Iowa

My husband has custody of his two boys and he is not required to have insurance on them, their mother is. However, we also do have insurance on them, including dental and vision just recently. Before the custody switch, she agreed to pay 1/2 of the dental and vision insurance because, of course, it will also benefit her greatly. Now she is claiming she is not going to pay it. Do we just have to bite the bullet? I am assuming we do even though I have a writtten confirmation e-mail from her. If she doesn't want to pay it fine, but then I don't think she should benefit from it, do you know what I mean?

P.S. Now that she has to pay my husband child support, she thinks she's living in poverty. Amazing how things change once the shoe is on the other foot. She used to be a poster on here and all she did was complain and complain.

Also, the Judge figured the CS wrong that she is to pay to my husband. The judge has also denied our motion 2 times. Can we file a Petition on our own to have a hearing to raise the child support, or would it have to be an application of some kind just for a short court hearing.
Thanks
If she is the one ordered to carry the insurance, and she is doing so, then no, she does not have to contribute to your insurance at all. However, that also doesn't mean that you can refused to use the insurance therefore deliberately trying to saddle her with extra costs.

If the judge has denied your motion to correct the child support amount twice, then there is no point in trying again. The judge isn't going to rule any differently the third time.

Wait a year or so and then file for a modification, so that it will be recalculated.

SWIowaGal

Thanks for the response. My only question is.....can WE use the insurance and then bill her as if we didn't since we're the ones paying for it and it's not court ordered? I understand that she's not obligated to pay it, it's just that she agreed before the change of custody and it kind of ticks us off a little.

LdiJ

Thanks for the response. My only question is.....can WE use the insurance and then bill her as if we didn't since we're the ones paying for it and it's not court ordered? I understand that she's not obligated to pay it, it's just that she agreed before the change of custody and it kind of ticks us off a little.
No, you cannot do that...you cannot even remotely do that.

jbowman

Am I missing something? Are you asking if you can bill her for stuff insurance pays? If she is ordered to obtain for medical insurance, then why dont you just take the kids off yours? Then you wont have anything to complain about.

If she is ordered to have insurance for the kids and she does not, I would think you could take her to court for contempt, as she is not abiding by the court order.

SWIowaGal

Am I missing something? Are you asking if you can bill her for stuff insurance pays? If she is ordered to obtain for medical insurance, then why dont you just take the kids off yours? Then you wont have anything to complain about.

If she is ordered to have insurance for the kids and she does not, I would think you could take her to court for contempt, as she is not abiding by the court order.

She is ordered to provide Health Insurance (she does that) we also have health insurance on the children (no big deal; our covers what hers doesn't); BUT we ALSO have dental and vision offered to us and she always said that if we could get that offered she would be more than willing to pay half for the premium. BUT NOW the tables have turned and she is the NCP and wants to try to make things difficult. So yes, I am asking if we can bill her for stuff OUR non-court ordered insurance pays and I got my answer, we can't. So I guess she'll just save money all around then, won't she?? Believe it or not, we are just trying to save HER and US money but then she always has to make things difficult.

jbowman

She is ordered to provide Health Insurance (she does that) we also have health insurance on the children (no big deal; our covers what hers doesn't); BUT we ALSO have dental and vision offered to us and she always said that if we could get that offered she would be more than willing to pay half for the premium. BUT NOW the tables have turned and she is the NCP and wants to try to make things difficult. So yes, I am asking if we can bill her for stuff OUR non-court ordered insurance pays and I got my answer, we can't. So I guess she'll just save money all around then, won't she?? Believe it or not, we are just trying to save HER and US money but then she always has to make things difficult.
Ok, still confused. You want to charge her for bills that are already PAID by your insurance - so YOU can make a profit??? Are you kidding?

And I dont know how much you dental and vision are per month but I pay about 25 bucks for both for my child AND myself. Are you seriously complaining about such a small amount of money? Especially now that she is PAYING CS. How is she saving money all around???? Seriously, I am not being a jerk... I just think I am not understanding this AT ALL.

You CHOOSE to have health insurance on the children. This is YOUR choice. How can you complain about it? How is she making anything difficult if she is going by the court order?

SWIowaGal

Ok, still confused. You want to charge her for bills that are already PAID by your insurance - so YOU can make a profit??? Are you kidding?

And I dont know how much you dental and vision are per month but I pay about 25 bucks for both for my child AND myself. Are you seriously complaining about such a small amount of money? Especially now that she is PAYING CS. How is she saving money all around???? Seriously, I am not being a jerk... I just think I am not understanding this AT ALL.

You CHOOSE to have health insurance on the children. This is YOUR choice. How can you complain about it? How is she making anything difficult if she is going by the court order?
Let me try to explain this one more time: It is OUR choice to have DENTAL and VISION on the children; she had agreed to pay 1/2 mere weeks before the custody switched (I have it in an e-mail) and yes, I would like to bill her as if we didn't have insurance but we can't; I understand that. And yes, my husband is getting Child Support, but for some reason, the Judge based the support amount off of incorrect figures and we appealed twice, but he won't change it. And I'm glad that your dental and vision is $25 per month, but ours is almost $60 and it really does make a difference, especially since she should be paying $100 more a month than she is. If you only knew the woman, you would understand. We try to help out, and she burns us every time.

jbowman

Well, hmmm, let me explain this to you. She is NOT paying $100 per month less than she should because the order shows what she SHOULD pay and obviously she is paying it. The fact that the judge has denied your requests is pretty telling.

The fact that you are paying 60 per month for dental and vision is probably based on the whole family, not on the 2 boys alone. I am sure if you divided it up amongst all of you, their portion would be much lower.

I find the fact that you want to bill her as if you didnt have insurance APPALLING, very greedy, and pretty much stealing. How would you charge a person something that you didnt pay out of your pocket?

You havent explained how she has "burned" you at all. Sounds like she is doing exactly what the court has ordered her to do. Saying she'll pay half means nothing.

Seriously, you sound like an over-involved, greedy and spiteful step-parent. Dad chose to be CP so thats what he has to deal with. Thats what ALL CP's deal with. You say the shoe is on the other foot now, right? So she complained about CS issues when she was CP--and now YOU are doing the same.

SWIowaGal

Well, hmmm, let me explain this to you. She is NOT paying $100 per month less than she should because the order shows what she SHOULD pay and obviously she is paying it. The fact that the judge has denied your requests is pretty telling.

The fact that you are paying 60 per month for dental and vision is probably based on the whole family, not on the 2 boys alone. I am sure if you divided it up amongst all of you, their portion would be much lower.

I find the fact that you want to bill her as if you didnt have insurance APPALLING, very greedy, and pretty much stealing. How would you charge a person something that you didnt pay out of your pocket?

You havent explained how she has "burned" you at all. Sounds like she is doing exactly what the court has ordered her to do. Saying she'll pay half means nothing.

Seriously, you sound like an over-involved, greedy and spiteful step-parent. Dad chose to be CP so thats what he has to deal with. Thats what ALL CP's deal with. You say the shoe is on the other foot now, right? So she complained about CS issues when she was CP--and now YOU are doing the same.
Wow, you are seriously over the top. I happen to work for an attorney for your information, dick, and did the Child Support Guidelines myself. The Judge used her W-2 earnings from last year, since which time she has gotten a $4,000 raise and that was taken to court and documented in court documents just a few months before the custody trial when she was trying to soak MY husband for more money but the Judge wouldn't take that into consideration, so isn't that quite telling. So you can stick it where the sun don't shine. LdiJ answered my question and I don't need anymore from you; I mean you seriously helped me (not). And for your information since you're so smart, there are 5 people on the insurance, and her portion is prorated out for the children, are you happy? She still won't pay it, she's not obligated to, and we will continue to pay it. Do you need anything else? And BTW, YOUR behavior is appalling :) *Spare me*

SWIowaGal

Wow, you are seriously over the top. I happen to work for an attorney for your information, dick, and did the Child Support Guidelines myself. The Judge used her W-2 earnings from last year, since which time she has gotten a $4,000 raise and that was taken to court and documented in court documents just a few months before the custody trial when she was trying to soak MY husband for more money but the Judge wouldn't take that into consideration, so isn't that quite telling. So you can stick it where the sun don't shine. LdiJ answered my question and I don't need anymore from you; I mean you seriously helped me (not). And for your information since you're so smart, there are 5 people on the insurance, and her portion is prorated out for the children, are you happy? She still won't pay it, she's not obligated to, and we will continue to pay it. Do you need anything else? And BTW, YOUR behavior is appalling :) *Spare me*
And furthermore, it is very hard to going from no children all the time to being a full time step-mother; I'm doing the best I can.

jbowman

IM over the top? YOU want to charge someone for bills that you never paid!! The insurance pays it! And the judge SHOULD have taken her W-2 earnings from the year before because there is NO promise that the $4000 raise for the YEAR is going to stay that way. ALSO, $4000 per year is probably not a big enough change in circumstances to modify the order.

By the way, the insurance amount that is prorated, yeah it is NOT her portion because she is not ordered to pay it.

And if being a step mom is so difficult for you--why dont you step back? My behavior is appalling? You just called me a d***. Thats rich.

SWIowaGal

I will apologize since I can be the bigger person here; I'm sorry I called you a dick; I understand you have no knowledge of the facts and you can't seem to understand that you answered no question I had whatsoever, you just came on to b*tch at me. The last poster answered my question perfectly fine and that was that; some people like to meddle and cause a stir I guess.

I guess you're saying I should let my step-children starve and quite buying groceries then since I should step back. Great idea. I'll do that from now on, I'll be the step-back step-mom. Good luck kids; I hope all step-moms do this in the future, because they're apparently worthless. *newsflash* I love them, what a concept.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">