• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medical Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Stapler1864

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

My childs health insurance is under my wife's works plan. I pay my child's portion of her premium. It is one of those high deductible plans. Her employer gives her as a single person $1500 towards the deductible. Since my daughter I'd on the plan they give $3000 in the health account. We both split uncovered expenses 50/50

My daughter went to the doctor and had a $107 bill. She is asking me to pay half of the bill. When I said that the health account her employer funds should pay for the bill she has said she has used the whole $3000 on her personal health expenses. I feel this should be considered a covered expense because of the extra 1500 her employer puts into the account because of the family coverage.

She is threatened to take me to family court over the $53 dollars. What will happen if we go to court?

Thank you and if wrong forum where should it be posted

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Regardless of how your wife's employer determines the amount to contribute to an HSA or to help with the deductible, the plan is not designed to be managed the way you evidently want it to be managed. Even if they did agree to contribute $1500 solely because your daughter is covered on the plan, that doesn't mean that that $1500 is exclusively for the use of your daughter. That's not the way an HSA, or a high deductible plan, works.

However, this is not a matter of law or even insurance plan design. This is a matter of your court order. If the order does not specify how this is to be managed, then go back to court and get it clarified. But it's just as likely that a court will side with your wife as with you.

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

My childs health insurance is under my wife's works plan. I pay my child's portion of her premium. It is one of those high deductible plans. Her employer gives her as a single person $1500 towards the deductible. Since my daughter I'd on the plan they give $3000 in the health account. We both split uncovered expenses 50/50

My daughter went to the doctor and had a $107 bill. She is asking me to pay half of the bill. When I said that the health account her employer funds should pay for the bill she has said she has used the whole $3000 on her personal health expenses. I feel this should be considered a covered expense because of the extra 1500 her employer puts into the account because of the family coverage.

She is threatened to take me to family court over the $53 dollars. What will happen if we go to court?

Thank you and if wrong forum where should it be posted
Word for word what your order actually says please.

I strongly doubt your order says what you appear to think it says - but let's wait until you do that first.

Stapler1864

Thank you all for the quick feedback. Here is what it says exactly.

14. The Husband shall pay for the hospital and medical insurance coverage for the benefit of the child.

15. The parties shall each pay 50% of any medical expense that is not covered by insurance.

Proserpina

Thank you all for the quick feedback. Here is what it says exactly.

14. The Husband shall pay for the hospital and medical insurance coverage for the benefit of the child.

15. The parties shall each pay 50% of any medical expense that is not covered by insurance.

Then it would appear that at least for now, Mom is in the right.

There is no money left in the HSA account = kiddo's bills are not covered. Hence ....

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It seems to me that, even if the other party had NOT used all of the allowance provided by the employer, you would still owe it. The amount the employer provides to go towards the deductible is NOT insurance, thus the amount in question is not covered by insurance. You owe the $53.50...you should pay it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">