• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medical Reimbursement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? PA

My husband wants to take his daughter to the dentist. She is 7 and he has medical coverage on her. Her mom hasn't taken her to a dentist in over 2 years. The CO for child support states that dad is responsible for 60% and mom is responsible for 40%. Does this also work for him? Like, she would have to reimburse him for the expenses we pay?

Thanks in advance!

I have read some cases on here where the office will bill each parent for their percentage. If one parent doesn't pay then they pursue that person for the debt, but you probably won't be able to return to that office until it is paid.

Or you can pay the whole sum and ask for reimbursement. But then it is up to the other parent to pay you.

Zephyr

new2this05 said:
I have read some cases on here where the office will bill each parent for their percentage. If one parent doesn't pay then they pursue that person for the debt, but you probably won't be able to return to that office until it is paid.

Or you can pay the whole sum and ask for reimbursement. But then it is up to the other parent to pay you.
however- that is very uncommon- doctors- schools etc don't like to be in the middle of all these types of squabbles- and it increases their administrative expenses

Zephyr said:
however- that is very uncommon- doctors- schools etc don't like to be in the middle of all these types of squabbles- and it increases their administrative expenses

But it wouldn't hurt for the OP to provide the agreement and ask how they can help handle it.

Zephyr

new2this05 said:
But it wouldn't hurt for the OP to provide the agreement and ask how they can help handle it.
how about like grown ups.....pay the bill, submit it to mom for reimbursement, if she doesn't pay take her back to court

I would not want to spend my time reading divorce papers, nor would I want to be in the middle of a divorced couples squabble over who owes what...she can do as you suggest all she wants....and she will be wasting her time.....maybe 1 out of 100 will work with her on it

There is nothing wrong with asking an office if they handle this type of situation. You would rather her not even ask then have to pay the court costs to settle it in court? Hopefully the other parent would just pay their portion to the other parent, but that doesn't seem to always be the case. One bill is not a lot but years of that could add up.

We don't know how she will take us asking her for reimbursement of the medical costs. As of now, my husband is required to provide medical insurance for his daughter. He has full medical (no co-pays) plus dental with a small co-pay. CP has NEVER used the insurance on the child (he has had it for 5 years). She, instead, has sought to obtain state medical for the child. We will pay the bill the first time and try to obtain her portion of the co-payment (which won't be much each time, if she doesn't need extensive dental work). If not, we'll have to see what we do next.

Thanks for the advice!

Zephyr

new2this05 said:
There is nothing wrong with asking an office if they handle this type of situation. You would rather her not even ask then have to pay the court costs to settle it in court? Hopefully the other parent would just pay their portion to the other parent, but that doesn't seem to always be the case. One bill is not a lot but years of that could add up.
like I said she can ask all she wants- I already know the answer

new2this05 said:
Can you get on state medical if you have other coverage available? Good luck with it.
Apparently, you can. From what I found, she uses the state medical before the medical we provide. I was told that in low income families who have other insurance but have a co-pay, you are able to use the state medical for co-pays and deductibles, however, she has always used the state medical insurance as primary.

Because it is the father taking the child, not the birth mother, and he has a copay and maybe a deductible to meet??? He isn't relying on the state to pick up the extra cost, the birth mom was. Can he submitt the bill to his insurance as primary and the state insurance as secondary to avoid anyone having to pay?

Different states require different things. Usually tho if the child has one form of insurance the state will only pay the co-pay's and balances. It allows them to serve more children, if they do that for those that still fall within the guidelines and have other insurance's.

To be honest I do not know how she is getting away with doing it the opposite way....different laws and rules in different states I guess.

I would assume tho that yes they will be up the co-pays or whatever the balance is however, the trick is to find out if the state insurance covers dental and if the dentist the child will be seeing accepts it. Otherwise it may not be covered.

I again am hoping I am making sense with this lol. I know what I want to say I just dont always convey it well in writing.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
FrustratedMommy said:
Different states require different things. Usually tho if the child has one form of insurance the state will only pay the co-pay's and balances. It allows them to serve more children, if they do that for those that still fall within the guidelines and have other insurance's.

To be honest I do not know how she is getting away with doing it the opposite way....different laws and rules in different states I guess.

I would assume tho that yes they will be up the co-pays or whatever the balance is however, the trick is to find out if the state insurance covers dental and if the dentist the child will be seeing accepts it. Otherwise it may not be covered.

I again am hoping I am making sense with this lol. I know what I want to say I just dont always convey it well in writing.

I agree. The state normally becomes an automatic secondary when another insurance is known.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">