• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

medical reimbursement in texas

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the name of your state? Texas
Child support has just been increased as of February. (raised approx. $100.00) We just got a "return receipt requested" letter with a receipt for glasses from, not the mom, but the daughter! (she is almost 17....) Mother put the daughter up to sending a letter requesting reimbursement. The date of the letter is postmarked April 3. The date of service is Feb. 2, '06. Technically she has to send the receipt within 30 days to my husband, the way we understand the court order. Is it still necessary to reimburse since we did not receive anything for 60 days? Does anyone agree that the daughter should not be involved in asking for money? I still can not believe she did this**************.:mad: Plus, she did not use the medical insurance that my husband provides, which I totally can not comprehend.

Last edited:

averad

usedstepmom said:
Technically she has to send the receipt within 30 days to my husband, the way we understand the court order.
What is the exact wording of the order? You’re asking us to interpret what it says but, you only provide your interpretation.

ceara19

usedstepmom said:
What is the name of your state? Texas
Child support has just been increased as of February. (raised approx. $100.00) We just got a "return receipt requested" letter with a receipt for glasses from, not the mom, but the daughter! (she is almost 17....) Mother put the daughter up to sending a letter requesting reimbursement. The date of the letter is postmarked April 3. The date of service is Feb. 2, '06. Technically she has to send the receipt within 30 days to my husband, the way we understand the court order. Is it still necessary to reimburse since we did not receive anything for 60 days? Does anyone agree that the daughter should not be involved in asking for money? I still can not believe she did this**************.:mad: Plus, she did not use the medical insurance that my husband provides, which I totally can not comprehend.
First, the court order states MOM has to send the request (which she didn't do) within 30 (witch she again didn't do).

TECHNICALLY, he doesn't have to pay the bill. However, if the glasses were necessary, he SHOULD. If mom takes him to court over it, he'll look like a heel, even though he'll more then likely win.

ceara19 said:
First, the court order states MOM has to send the request (which she didn't do) within 30 (witch she again didn't do).

TECHNICALLY, he doesn't have to pay the bill. However, if the glasses were necessary, he SHOULD. If mom takes him to court over it, he'll look like a heel, even though he'll more then likely win.
The court order states that the party who incurs a health care expense on behalf of the child to submit to the other party all forms, bills, and statements reflecting the uninsured portion of the health care expenses within 30 days after he or she receives them. He isn't trying to get out of paying for them. Again, what about her not using the insurance he provides? It doesn't cover contacts, but it does cover an exam for glasses, which would help. It makes it difficult when she doesn't follow the rules, but wants him to. The only part of the court order she seems to be able to read is the part about money. I guess the visitation and name of the child aren't legible on her documents! And we just finished a modification hearing. Can she still take him back to court? He only has one year left....

ceara19

usedstepmom said:
The court order states that the party who incurs a health care expense on behalf of the child to submit to the other party all forms, bills, and statements reflecting the uninsured portion of the health care expenses within 30 days after he or she receives them. He isn't trying to get out of paying for them. Again, what about her not using the insurance he provides? It doesn't cover contacts, but it does cover an exam for glasses, which would help. It makes it difficult when she doesn't follow the rules, but wants him to. The only part of the court order she seems to be able to read is the part about money. I guess the visitation and name of the child aren't legible on her documents! And we just finished a modification hearing. Can she still take him back to court? He only has one year left....
She can take him back to court pretty much as often as she wants to. But it doesn't mean she'll win, or even get her case HEARD for that matter.

If she brings the bill for the glasses to court, chances are she will LOSE, but your husband will still look like a heel for not paying because of a technicality.

What mom's doing isn't right. The child shouldn't be put in the middle and the judge is likely to have something to say about that. Does the child NEED the glasses any LESS just because mom didn't follow proper procedure?

The only reason we even have a complaint about this is that we provide dental (and have since she was 5 years old) and the mother has never paid one penny. We had her wisdom teeth out last summer and we took care of everything. We just look at it like she should be able to call it even, but she still wants to get every dime she can. If she was working I think it would make a huge difference. My husband and I both work for a living. She is the only "parent" without an income, other than what she gets from my husband in child support.

LdiJ

usedstepmom said:
Date of service may not be equal to the date of receiving the bill...in fact its often not even remotely equal.

Also, does mom have an insurance card from your husband so that it can automatically be provided to the medical providers? If not the judge is going to ask why...

Are you absolutely certain (assuming that mom has a valid insurance card) that mom didn't attempt to use it and it was denied, or that she did use it and the bill reflects the amount AFTER insurance coverage?

In other words.....don't fight this battle unless you are 100% certain that your husband has done everything that he is supposed to do....

ceara19

usedstepmom said:
The only reason we even have a complaint about this is that we provide dental (and have since she was 5 years old) and the mother has never paid one penny. We had her wisdom teeth out last summer and we took care of everything. We just look at it like she should be able to call it even, but she still wants to get every dime she can. If she was working I think it would make a huge difference. My husband and I both work for a living. She is the only "parent" without an income, other than what she gets from my husband in child support.
I understand what you're saying, but those are all PERSONAL reasons. The child doesn't NEED the glasses any less because dad paid to have her wisdom teeth removed.

LdiJ said:
Date of service may not be equal to the date of receiving the bill...in fact its often not even remotely equal.

Also, does mom have an insurance card from your husband so that it can automatically be provided to the medical providers? If not the judge is going to ask why...

Are you absolutely certain (assuming that mom has a valid insurance card) that mom didn't attempt to use it and it was denied, or that she did use it and the bill reflects the amount AFTER insurance coverage?

In other words.....don't fight this battle unless you are 100% certain that your husband has done everything that he is supposed to do....

Yes. Mom has insurance cards. We are sure to provide those every time we get them. She WILL NOt use the insurance like she is supposed to. We think she is on CHIP because she has given us a receipt before with the discount on it. My husband has done everything he is supposed to do. Or put it this way.....neither one of them have done everything they are supposed to do, but he certainly makes more of an effort. He doesn't have a problem providing what his daughter needs. I still don't know how she can be on that program if we provide her with insurance. I feel like that is fraud......

ceara19 said:
I understand what you're saying, but those are all PERSONAL reasons. The child doesn't NEED the glasses any less because dad paid to have her wisdom teeth removed.
She NEEDED her wisdom teeth removed also!

ceara19

usedstepmom said:
She NEEDED her wisdom teeth removed also!
I understand. But just because MOM didn't pay for half of the dentist bill, doesn't make it RIGHT for dad not to pay for half of the glasses.

Two wrongs don't make a right (but 3 rights, make a left ;) )

ceara19 said:
I understand. But just because MOM didn't pay for half of the dentist bill, doesn't make it RIGHT for dad not to pay for half of the glasses.

Two wrongs don't make a right (but 3 rights, make a left ;) )

The cost of having wisdom teeth extracted would be worth 5 pairs of glasses**************...I know what you are saying, but 1 right deserves another right!:D

ceara19

usedstepmom said:
The cost of having wisdom teeth extracted would be worth 5 pairs of glasses**************...I know what you are saying, but 1 right deserves another right!:D
I understand, it's not "fair" to dad at all, but the child deserves to have at least one parent act like an adult.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">