• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medical Support Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mom2jandree

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri

My ex is required by the divorce decree to pay half of all medical expenses. I pay the full amount (co-pay) for the dr, prescription, etc., and I enter his portion into a spreadsheet that we share on google docs.

Here's the problem. Ex is behind paying his portion to me by almost 3 months. It's leaving me in a tight spot because the kids need the medications, drs visits, etc., and I'm having to put this on credit cards so I can make ends meet. Is there anything I can do? The decree says nothing about the timeliness of his payments.

Thank you for your replies, it is greatly appreciated.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri

My ex is required by the divorce decree to pay half of all medical expenses. I pay the full amount (co-pay) for the dr, prescription, etc., and I enter his portion into a spreadsheet that we share on google docs.

Here's the problem. Ex is behind paying his portion to me by almost 3 months. It's leaving me in a tight spot because the kids need the medications, drs visits, etc., and I'm having to put this on credit cards so I can make ends meet. Is there anything I can do? The decree says nothing about the timeliness of his payments.

Thank you for your replies, it is greatly appreciated.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
If there is nothing in the decree about timeliness of his payments, you are in a bit of a pickle. Have you asked him about making those payments to you?

mom2jandree

If there is nothing in the decree about timeliness of his payments, you are in a bit of a pickle. Have you asked him about making those payments to you?
Antigone*of*Greece, yes, I've asked him, he's told me that is all he can afford. Too bad the kids can't wait for their meds until he gets paid. And it's ok for me to charge the bills and work two jobs to make ends meet.

Sorry, that was a rant, lol. I'm going to read the decree again to make sure, but I'm 99% sure that is what it says. A pickle is right. :(

Antigone*

Antigone*of*Greece, yes, I've asked him, he's told me that is all he can afford. Too bad the kids can't wait for their meds until he gets paid. And it's ok for me to charge the bills and work two jobs to make ends meet.

Sorry, that was a rant, lol. I'm going to read the decree again to make sure, but I'm 99% sure that is what it says. A pickle is right. :(
Not too bad the kids can't wait for their meds. Thank God, they have a mom who puts them first, no matter how the other parent prioritizes things;)

Humusluvr

Ask him to take the kids to the doc next time, and you can "subtract it from his tab." I'm lucky, in that I have my ex's credit card. Maybe he would give you a medical expenses only card? Or you could do a prepaid card, that you each load up with half.

mistoffolees

If there's nothing in the decree regarding the payments, then he would be expected to pay within a reasonable time. Being more than 3 months behind is not very reasonable. I would file for contempt - and ask the court to modify the decree to require payments within 30 days.

However, if he really can't afford it, you may be trying to get blood from a stone. You may need to make some modifications to your budget (him, too, but he's not here so I can't suggest it to him) so you're not relying on his payments.

mom2jandree

Ask him to take the kids to the doc next time, and you can "subtract it from his tab." I'm lucky, in that I have my ex's credit card. Maybe he would give you a medical expenses only card? Or you could do a prepaid card, that you each load up with half.
Hi Humusluvr, thank you for replying. My ex has it in his head that 'I' am responsible for taking them to the dr and paying the co-pays. It doesn't say that in the decree, but since I have sole custody he assumes I take care of everything. I did try to have him pay for meds the other day when DD#1 had outpatient surgery, when I told him he could run down to the pharmacy and pick up the meds he told me 'that is your job'. Good idea on the pre-paids, I don't know if he does an HSA or not. He would have to get current first though...

mom2jandree

If there's nothing in the decree regarding the payments, then he would be expected to pay within a reasonable time. Being more than 3 months behind is not very reasonable. I would file for contempt - and ask the court to modify the decree to require payments within 30 days.

However, if he really can't afford it, you may be trying to get blood from a stone. You may need to make some modifications to your budget (him, too, but he's not here so I can't suggest it to him) so you're not relying on his payments.
Thank you Mistoffolees. Is it difficult to file for contempt? It will be trying to get blood from a stone. We're talking about $300 of expenses every month. My income dropped recently so I'm playing catch-up with everything now. Thanks again.

Humusluvr

Hi Humusluvr, thank you for replying. My ex has it in his head that 'I' am responsible for taking them to the dr and paying the co-pays. It doesn't say that in the decree, but since I have sole custody he assumes I take care of everything. I did try to have him pay for meds the other day when DD#1 had outpatient surgery, when I told him he could run down to the pharmacy and pick up the meds he told me 'that is your job'. Good idea on the pre-paids, I don't know if he does an HSA or not. He would have to get current first though...
I totally get it, but he does owe half by the decree. You really should have it modified to 30 days.

Good luck!

mistoffolees

Thank you Mistoffolees. Is it difficult to file for contempt? It will be trying to get blood from a stone. We're talking about $300 of expenses every month. My income dropped recently so I'm playing catch-up with everything now. Thanks again.
No, filing for contempt is not that hard.

Make sure you explore whether your child is eligible for insurance through the state. The income limits are fairly high in some states.

mom2jandree

No, filing for contempt is not that hard.

Make sure you explore whether your child is eligible for insurance through the state. The income limits are fairly high in some states.
My ex is required to carry on insurance on both of our daughters, and he does. It's the copays on their medications that I need help with. The co-pays for the braces and medications run about $300 a month.

So, is it possible to file for a modification w/o having an attorney? Could someone point me in the right direction?

Thank you everyone, you have no idea how much I appreciate this!

mistoffolees

My ex is required to carry on insurance on both of our daughters, and he does. It's the copays on their medications that I need help with. The co-pays for the braces and medications run about $300 a month.

So, is it possible to file for a modification w/o having an attorney? Could someone point me in the right direction?

Thank you everyone, you have no idea how much I appreciate this!
It is possible to file for a modification without an attorney, but you'll need to learn all the procedures and rules in your state. Start by contacting your court clerk to see if they have a packet of forms for use in divorce issues. Or google it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">