• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Medically Retired

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rzack

What is the name of your state? MD

Hi, I have questions about my hubby's child support payment. Probably some of you have experience about this matter.

My hubby will medically retired soon from his service and he is paying less than $300 a month for child support. He is looking for another job and meantime will be jobless. My question is: is it worth it to modify the cs or just let it be? I think it will waste of time to do it and then have to go back to court again when he get a new job, specially we are residing far from where his child is. Medically retired means he will get less pay. I don't mind to support him to pay the child support until he get his new job. What do you think? I think its better just paying the current amount rather than spending time and flight tickets back and forth to modify it right? Probably my hubby only will be jobless about 3 to 6 months.

Thanks in advance for your replies :)

BelizeBreeze

It will make no difference in the long run. The amount of time it would take to file a motion to modify and be heard will be months that he could use to find another job. And it will most likely NOT result in a downward modification.

Have hubby contact the ex and explain the situation and assure her that as soon as he finds another job the payments will continue. And, in the meantime, have him pay what he can and keep records.

Also, DO NOT pay them for him. If you want to support him hel with household expenses so he can use more of what he will be receiving for support.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">