• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

in a mess

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

iix

What is the name of your state? IL
Me and my girlfriend have a 6 month old baby. I have been there for her since we found out she was pregnant financially and any way i could. The thing is she refused anything from me. She will not tell me what bills need to be paid etc. I have written her checks which after months she finally cashed. I'm guessing they totaled around $1,100. Heres the thing, since her parents dislike me, refuse to let me part of there family all of a sudden, she ended are relationship. I know it was to mend things with her parents. I noticed a card for a lawyer and know for a fact they are telling her to go after me. I'm not a dead beat dad, know I'm responsible in some way financially, and have tried the best I could to show all of them. I am divorced with 2 children from that marriage and take care of them, plus some.
Here's the thing I was told by her along time ago that a medical condition she had made it almost impossible to get pregnant and onto that she told me she was using birth control. I know it takes two, but will any of this help me when I'm taken to court?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Nope. You're responsible for your own reproductive abilities and shouldn't rely on what someone else tells you. Nothing - except removal of all the relevant parts or abstinence - is 100%.

Gracie3787

iix said:
What is the name of your state? IL
Me and my girlfriend have a 6 month old baby. I have been there for her since we found out she was pregnant financially and any way i could. The thing is she refused anything from me. She will not tell me what bills need to be paid etc. I have written her checks which after months she finally cashed. I'm guessing they totaled around $1,100. Heres the thing, since her parents dislike me, refuse to let me part of there family all of a sudden, she ended are relationship. I know it was to mend things with her parents. I noticed a card for a lawyer and know for a fact they are telling her to go after me. I'm not a dead beat dad, know I'm responsible in some way financially, and have tried the best I could to show all of them. I am divorced with 2 children from that marriage and take care of them, plus some.
Here's the thing I was told by her along time ago that a medical condition she had made it almost impossible to get pregnant and onto that she told me she was using birth control. I know it takes two, but will any of this help me when I'm taken to court?
1. It doesn't matter what she said about ability to get pregnant- ONLY a DNA test will tell the truth... Ask for DNA test to establish paternity FIRST.

2. It doesn't matter how your ex GF or her family feels- if you are the child's father YOU HAVE RIGHTS to visitation, etc. After paternity is established ask for court ordered visitation rights, with SPECIFIC times, etc.

3. It doesn't matter if she doesn't want you to support your child, you have not only the right but also the responsibility to. Ask that the CS payments be paid thru court clerk, that way you will have a record in case she stupidly refuses to cash checks.

I wish you the best.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">