• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

mich law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mgoblue

What is the name of your state? Michigan

history: hubby's ex lived 6 miles away and 6.5 yrs ago moved 90 miles away. This summer daughter asked to live with us. She asked mom and was told never. Since then mom has moved back 6 miles away and daughter still wants to spend more time with us.

Since daughter is closer we have her every other weekend and extra day or days on the off weeks. (daughter would love to do 50/50)

Now the orig decree states the father has daughter every other weekend and one day per week, which it is for the most part but there are times we will have her extra days. Does that take into consideration when it comes to paying cs? It is equalling to be that we have daughter at least 7 days a month. Do we pay cs for three weeks a month?

How about college? Who is responsible if it does not state in the decree?

UMgoblue

I know a little about MI child support and visitation. I grew up in Flint (simmilar situation to yours) I know that college funds are "the parent's responsibilty" is what a judge told my parents. If one parent wants to take care of it.. its up to them, unless there is a court order. Both of my parents took a fund for me, which I am greatful for. I used one for tuition and I am still using the other for a "good start" my father calls it.

On the other hand the only thing I know about the visitation is go back to court. The child will be heard, even through a letter if you dont want her involved. I wrote a letter to my mothers attorney and they used it in court. As a child ages, rules change they told my father. Basically I was able to set my own visitation when I was old enough to say. Hope it helps..

GO BLUE!! ;)

VeronicaGia

MI doesn't have college support unless it was agreed to by both parties in the divorce decree. Emancipation in MI is at age 18 AND has graduated from high school, but no longer than age 19 1/2 if the child has not yet graduated from high school.

As far as only paying support 3 weeks a month, it won't happen. If he gets more visitation, support should go down (depending upon how much more) but he will continue to pay some type of support weekly unless he is awarded primary custody.

LdiJ

Also...and be careful about this. If dad's income has increased since the child support order was put in effect, its always possible that child support could increase rather than decrease, even with credit for extra parenting time. Therefore you should always take that into consideration, and run the numbers on an online child support calculator before petitioning for any reduction. I have seen many parents get some bad surprizes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">