• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Michigan and Federal child support laws question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthPacific

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan, US Fed

I have a situation I really need some legal advise on.

In October of 2009, I went to renew my CA driver's license and found myself on the federal list, where I could not renew my drivers license or passport due to a claimed "arrearage" in child support by the state of Oklahoma.

There was a case regarding this child support issue, which I took to court in Oklahoma back in 2003 (I was the plaintiff) and I received the judgement from the court (you can see the court case online..even says "Judgement for the Plaintiff" in big red letters at the top)

I contacted Oklahoma regarding this issue, but they refuse to provide any kind of evidence to their claim, even after many certified letters demanding such, emails, etc, etc. Basically like dealing with a **** group.

I do recall the state of Oklahoma trying to do something regarding this back in 2005 via the state of California. Luckily I got in touch with someone with half a brain and they reviewed the matter and the state of California refused to uphold the claim by Oklahoma, given the facts (I have a letter from the state of California regarding this as well).

Longer story short, I have made repeated attempts to resolve this matter with the Oklahoma child support, but they have stonewalled me the entire time, never producing one single piece of evidence to substantiate their claim. Including not investigating the actual well being of the child. The child is living with a sister in Colorado and the mother lives in Michigan now.

Recently my mother received a letter from this mother in Michigan, basically just trying to get money. But I can prove she is not even in the jurisdiction of the state of Oklahoma, nor is the child. And the mother has not pursued the issue with the state of Michigan.

So here is the legal question....

If the child is now 18 years old and finished high school, does the state of Oklahoma have any rights or juridiction to continue to have me on the federal list where I can not renew my drivers license?

And would the state of Michigan have any rights and or jurisdiction if the mother was to try to file something now, since the child is over 18 and not in school?

I have the name and telephone number of the federal district office of child support in Dallas. I read they can review cases once every 3 years. Would the feds still abide by what Oklahoma is reporting, given the fact the child is over 18 and not in school?

Thanks very much in advance!

mistoffolees

If the child is now 18 years old and finished high school, does the state of Oklahoma have any rights or juridiction to continue to have me on the federal list where I can not renew my drivers license?
Yes. They claim that you have arrears, so they are able to continue to keep you on the list until they are satisfied that the arrears are paid or don't exist - or they get a court order.

And would the state of Michigan have any rights and or jurisdiction if the mother was to try to file something now, since the child is over 18 and not in school?
No, but Mom can still file in OK to collect the arrears since that's where the original order is from.

I have the name and telephone number of the federal district office of child support in Dallas. I read they can review cases once every 3 years. Would the feds still abide by what Oklahoma is reporting, given the fact the child is over 18 and not in school?
I don't think it's a federal issue - other than the federal database posting information from OK.

You really need to get it straightened out in OK. If you're not getting a response, ask to speak to a supervisor. Or have your attorney write a strongly worded letter.

SouthPacific

Thank you for the reply.

Oh lordy! I have talked to EVERYONE over the last year and a half since I found out about it. I have spoke to the Governor's office, Congress and Senate people and everyone keeps saying "you have to take that up with Tulsa East child support!

And I have! So much so, they won't even take my calls anymore! The people "handling" this case there won't even speak me. I have sent many certified letters demanding their evidence of their claim, sent them my evidence including the court case from Oklahoma which I won back in 2003 and still nothing.

They have completely stonewalled me..and I can prove it.

But now since the child is over 18 and out of school, I figured maybe I could get this taken care of without having to take federal court action against the state of Oklahoma itself for this fiasco.

Its simply unthinkable that they have such powers to ignore the facts that are clearly evident (such as the court case from 2003) just to plague my life with their bs (pardon the french, but it fits in this case).

If I must file a federal suit, it will be against the state of Oklahoma, Tulsa East child support and will list every person they had on this case as individuals in the lawsuit. If they make me fight, I'll be unloading both barrels.

But I was hoping to just side-step all this garbage that was already taken care of years ago.

Thanks again for the reply.

mistoffolees

Thank you for the reply.

Oh lordy! I have talked to EVERYONE over the last year and a half since I found out about it. I have spoke to the Governor's office, Congress and Senate people and everyone keeps saying "you have to take that up with Tulsa East child support!

And I have! So much so, they won't even take my calls anymore! The people "handling" this case there won't even speak me. I have sent many certified letters demanding their evidence of their claim, sent them my evidence including the court case from Oklahoma which I won back in 2003 and still nothing.

They have completely stonewalled me..and I can prove it.

But now since the child is over 18 and out of school, I figured maybe I could get this taken care of without having to take federal court action against the state of Oklahoma itself for this fiasco.

Its simply unthinkable that they have such powers to ignore the facts that are clearly evident (such as the court case from 2003) just to plague my life with their bs (pardon the french, but it fits in this case).

If I must file a federal suit, it will be against the state of Oklahoma, Tulsa East child support and will list every person they had on this case as individuals in the lawsuit. If they make me fight, I'll be unloading both barrels.

But I was hoping to just side-step all this garbage that was already taken care of years ago.

Thanks again for the reply.
You can always do that, but it's going to be a lot less expensive and faster to have an attorney write them a letter. CS agencies tend to pay attention to attorney's letters even when they're ignoring the people involved.

SouthPacific

In the original CS case, were you the plaintiff or the respondent? It matters... a lot. :cool:

When it all started, I was the "respondent" in the original case, because it was from Tulsa East child support directly to me and it was in their "administrative" court (I hate to even refer to it as a court it is such a joke).

So after finding out how bad things were at Tulsa East child support, I filed my own petition regarding the matter in Tulsa district court, in which I was the plaintiff and I won the case in 2003 (again you can see the case online and it shows me as the plaintiff and in big red text says "Judgement for the Plaintiff" along with the pages of details.

Thanks for the reply!

SouthPacific

You can always do that, but it's going to be a lot less expensive and faster to have an attorney write them a letter. CS agencies tend to pay attention to attorney's letters even when they're ignoring the people involved.
Thank you again for the reply!

I wish I knew an attorney now I could trust. My attorney (and dear friend now) became a judge...so there went my one in a million lawyer. :p

I am use to filing things on my own and if forced, will take this to federal court myself.

I just don't want this useless fight and it is rediculous that this CP place can be allowed to act in such a negligent manner, even after they have solid evidence to show otherwise. Its almost like its a personal thing now for whatever reason.

I have written very strong letters regarding this matter now and I can't imagine any attorney being able to write anything different, unless they have actual case references to add in. I have already threatened with the federal suit...but they just don't care.

Once again, I sure would love to find a way around such a fight and just get on with life. but if not, I'll pay the $475 (at least that what a fed filing use to cost..I have been in 2 in my lifetime and won them both), but once i pull that trigger, I'm not letting them off the hook and those individuals will be paying out the nose even to just defend themselves with the "paper mill" I will be throwing at them. That was how I beat Dell Inc last year. :D

Thanks again for the reply!

Proserpina

I wish I knew an attorney now I could trust. My attorney (and dear friend now) became a judge...so there went my one in a million lawyer. :p

I am use to filing things on my own and if forced, will take this to federal court myself.

I just don't want this useless fight and it is rediculous that this CP place can be allowed to act in such a negligent manner, even after they have solid evidence to show otherwise. Its almost like its a personal thing now for whatever reason.

I have written very strong letters regarding this matter now and I can't imagine any attorney being able to write anything different, unless they have actual case references to add in. I have already threatened with the federal suit...but they just don't care.

Once again, I sure would love to find a way around such a fight and just get on with life. but if not, I'll pay the $475 (at least that what a fed filing use to cost..I have been in 2 in my lifetime and won them both), but once i pull that trigger, I'm not letting them off the hook and those individuals will be paying out the nose even to just defend themselves with the "paper mill" I will be throwing at them. That was how I beat Dell Inc last year. :D

...you're planning on suing the government about this?

Good luck with that.

mistoffolees

You're making a mistake.

First, your suit will likely get thrown out on jurisdictional issues - since you don't know what you're doing or how to file it properly.

Second, there's no way you can bury the government in paperwork.

Third, your comments indicate that you don't have any concept of proper procedure. You really don't think that an attorney can draft a more forceful and accurate letter than you can?

Finally, you'd better plan on making it a full time job if you want to have a chance of winning.

Your glib comments notwithstanding, this is going to be far easier and less painful, as well as far more likely to succeed if you simply let an attorney straighten it out with the state. If you don't know one, ask your friends for recommendations or try the yellow pages.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
When it all started, I was the "respondent" in the original case, because it was from Tulsa East child support directly to me and it was in their "administrative" court (I hate to even refer to it as a court it is such a joke).

So after finding out how bad things were at Tulsa East child support, I filed my own petition regarding the matter in Tulsa district court, in which I was the plaintiff and I won the case in 2003 (again you can see the case online and it shows me as the plaintiff and in big red text says "Judgement for the Plaintiff" along with the pages of details.

Thanks for the reply!
Once the respondent, always the respondent. :cool:

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Which makes this actually a little more interesting.

Because if he was actually the respondent (despite petitioning himself), it would appear that the judgement actually went against him...
Unless he thought that doing an end run around the administrative order would work....

Pretty little mess he's got going here. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">