• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Military disability benefits subject to garnishment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

disabled_dad01

What is the name of your state?GA

I am a disabled vet (USAF) with service/combat-related disability due to injury that is causing me severe pain.

I am currently employed and make modest pay. Ex makes a lot more than me.

I have one more year to pay support on my son. I pay support combined with a pmt for arrears which I incurred when I lost my job 9 years ago. I am current and have not even been a day late on aything since then.

He always has complained that he gets nothing and that bugs me. Last year she had an "exteme makeover" (cosmetic surgery) but she refused him an MP3 player. I can't afford a lawyer and I hear that it wouldn't matter since she doesn't have to prove how she spends it anyway.

I was told by my dr. that if I leave work or even just go for a re-evaluation (which I haven't done in years) my benefits will increase dramatically.

My question: Can my VA disability benefits be subject to garnishment for her to take?

It is my understanding that if I go on social security she can take that, but specifically I need to know about VA. I have asked all around, but no one seems to have a straight answer. (the VA website is very confusing and VA keeps me on hold for too long aIf anyone has a link for useful info on the VA website I would appreciate it, it is confusing me to death. Their hold times are too long for me to use the phone at work)

Thanks

gphjr

I don't have the website, but GA should have something in thier statues which will tell you to type of income which is subject to child support. Check the state statues sections links that are here. you'll find GA. also search for child support guidelines GA and see if you get some hits.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">