• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Misuse of Child Support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

x22jmd11x

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MA

So here is my situation. My boyfriends parents have been separated for about 8 years now and his father is a very successful builder with his own business. Naturally because he wanted the most for his son he paid at least 1,400$ a week. (he would make a minimum of $300,000 a year). Well after going to court not to long ago they found out that he has paid a total of $800,000 to his wife for child support, $400,000 solely for his son Robbie while the rest was for his means of living. Well for the past three years he has been living with me, him paying for his clothes ect. with money he earned over the summer and my family paying for him to eat. This past year is our first year of school and there is NO money for him. Over the past 8 years his mother has been going on vacations to mexico, france, anywhere you could think of. Last year she went to florida and was suppose to leave her son for a day, well she was gone for a month and left him no money, and home alone by himself. I could go on and on but basically she did things like that all the time and diminished all the money that belonged to him. (ps he was never included in those vacations and she also bought her other independent son a house).

Now that we are in college he had to pay 5,000$ of his own money he worked for, and take out a loan in his name. This whole time his father believed that there was at least enough money for him to go to school and not pay anything. Now she refuses to pay the 100$ a month that she needs to contribute for his rent money. We have proof that Robbie never got any of the money that belonged to him but is there anyway we can do something about it?

I have received a few mixed answers in the past about mis-use of child support. Some say that there is no

BL

Your post is a bit confusing .

How old is the " child " ?

If you BF was ordered to pay a certain amount of child support to the mother , he has NO say on how it's spent.

If he paid extra to her without a court order that was his decision and was a gift.

If his income has lowered significantly through no fault of his own ,he might be able to have the amount lowered .

Choosing between college and working to pay child support obligation wouldn't qualify .

Proserpina

So here is my situation. My boyfriends parents have been separated for about 8 years now and his father is a very successful builder with his own business. Naturally because he wanted the most for his son he paid at least 1,400$ a week. (he would make a minimum of $300,000 a year). Well after going to court not to long ago they found out that he has paid a total of $800,000 to his wife for child support, $400,000 solely for his son Robbie while the rest was for his means of living. Well for the past three years he has been living with me, him paying for his clothes ect. with money he earned over the summer and my family paying for him to eat. This past year is our first year of school and there is NO money for him. Over the past 8 years his mother has been going on vacations to mexico, france, anywhere you could think of. Last year she went to florida and was suppose to leave her son for a day, well she was gone for a month and left him no money, and home alone by himself. I could go on and on but basically she did things like that all the time and diminished all the money that belonged to him. (ps he was never included in those vacations and she also bought her other independent son a house).

Now that we are in college he had to pay 5,000$ of his own money he worked for, and take out a loan in his name. This whole time his father believed that there was at least enough money for him to go to school and not pay anything. Now she refuses to pay the 100$ a month that she needs to contribute for his rent money. We have proof that Robbie never got any of the money that belonged to him but is there anyway we can do something about it?

I have received a few mixed answers in the past about mis-use of child support. Some say that there is no

Please have boyfriend's Dad sign up, with court papers at hand.

Thanks.

Proserpina

Your post is a bit confusing .

How old is the " child " ?

If you BF was ordered to pay a certain amount of child support to the mother , he has NO say on how it's spent.

If he paid extra to her without a court order that was his decision and was a gift.

If his income has lowered significantly through no fault of his own ,he might be able to have the amount lowered .

Choosing between college and working to pay child support obligation wouldn't qualify .

This is the (presumed now adult) child's girlfriend....

....Dad paid Mom a whole boatload of child support, and now Adult Child wants some of the money himself.

CourtClerk

If Robbie is old enough to go to college, shack up with his girlfriend, have his girlfriend meddling in business that doesn't concern her one little bit and presumably have sex, Robbie is old enough to pay for his own college.

Other than that, child support doesn't belong to children.

Just Blue

And why are you posting? How on EARTH is this your LEGAL business?

hint...It isn't.

MYOB.

haiku

A point of interest for our intrepid contributers.. Child support is payable until age 23 in Ma. if the child is a full time student. Looks like Robbies girlfriend thinks he is owed a piece of that pie...

A point of interest to our OP.. this is not only none of your affair, its also NONE of your boyfriends affair. It between his parents. And that, is that.

Last edited:

x22jmd11x

Im sorry my post is confusing. Robbie is the child of the divorce. $800,000 of child support was paid to his mother. $400,000 of that was solely for Robbie's education and living in college. The other $400,000 was to take care of him.

Now with the exception of paying for his food and occasional school bill ($400,000) he has received none of that money. His education is not paid for, his father would take him to buy his clothes (that money not taken out of child support)

This year he attended college and has had to pay for everything himself, and we live together because supporting each other is cheaper than paying 14,000 for room & board.

Again we have proof of the misuse from family members along with the fact that her income (+) the $400,000 for her to go on vacation with her boyfriend doesn't cover the cost. (boyfriend has no money & doesn't work)

Is there anyway to get anything from her?

Please only serious responses none saying to mind my own business because you don't know the circumstances.

Proserpina

Im sorry my post is confusing. Robbie is the child of the divorce. $800,000 of child support was paid to his mother. $400,000 of that was solely for Robbie's education and living in college. The other $400,000 was to take care of him.

Now with the exception of paying for his food and occasional school bill ($400,000) he has received none of that money. His education is not paid for, his father would take him to buy his clothes (that money not taken out of child support)

This year he attended college and has had to pay for everything himself, and we live together because supporting each other is cheaper than paying 14,000 for room & board.

Again we have proof of the misuse from family members along with the fact that her income (+) the $400,000 for her to go on vacation with her boyfriend doesn't cover the cost. (boyfriend has no money & doesn't work)

Is there anyway to get anything from her?

Please only serious responses none saying to mind my own business because you don't know the circumstances.

It IS none of your LEGAL business.

There's a REASON why I recommended DAD come here to register, with his court orders.

x22jmd11x

There is a reason why we are asking. His father cannot do anything, he has no money to hire a lawyer because he is giving everything so that his kid can go to college. We are getting married in about a week and we needed some direction as to whether we can do something about it, or if us getting married would ruin any chance of him getting money for school (other than as an independent he doesn't need to pay child support)

We have talked to a lawyer and he suggested his father do something before his son got involved. He did say that Robbie could do something about it but because we hoped his father could take care of it first we did not ask what that was. Does anyone know what that is?

Proserpina

There is a reason why we are asking. His father cannot do anything, he has no money to hire a lawyer because he is giving everything so that his kid can go to college. We are getting married in about a week and we needed some direction as to whether we can do something about it, or if us getting married would ruin any chance of him getting money for school (other than as an independent he doesn't need to pay child support)

We have talked to a lawyer and he suggested his father do something before his son got involved. He did say that Robbie could do something about it but because we hoped his father could take care of it first we did not ask what that was. Does anyone know what that is?

This.
Is.
Not.
Your.
Legal.
Matter.

Pro out.

Isis1

you and robbie can't do a darn thing. the child support case is between the mom and dad. if dad has a case, he can hire an attorney. whether you and robbie get married, doesn't matter one bit.

none of us can diagnos dad without dad and his court papers.

Antigone*

Child support that was paid belongs to Robbie's mother end of story.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">