• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Modification

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

uhfin04

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Denise, NY
I filed a court order against my exhusband for non payment of child support. In turn my ex filed for a modification due to being unemployed for years. The judge would not rule on our case she said she needs to read through our entire agreement before making a ruling. My papers state "under no circumstances shall the CS obligation fall below $425 / month" A few paragraphs later the papers state that either party can return to court for a modification. Judge stated those two paragraphs contradicte each other and therefore could not make a ruling on the back support or modification before reading the entire document. I thought a modification would effect any CS going forward not going back 3 years. Ex owes over $6K in back CS. Anyone have the same experience? Doesn't a modification effect any CS on a go forward basis?

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Well, if the ex is currently supposed to pay less than or equal to $425/month,
then the judge has a point about there being a contradiction... Since you can't modify downward from the bottom.

And yes, one cannot modify backward... But sometimes judges like to look at the whole picture before making a ruling, I suspect. Because the ex owes back support, it is possible for the judge to award a money judgement for the amount of the arrears. With interest.

mistoffolees

It's already in the judge's hands, so there's not much good that any advice from here will do.

However, the way it SHOULD work is:
- Any modification should only be retroactive to the date of filing for modification. The years of arrears should stay in place
- The clause that 'under no circumstances will support go below $425' is unenforceable. What if he dies, for example? That clause should never have been there and the judge should probably simply ignore that clause and leave the rest in effect.

BL

Was the original order an agreement between the two of you entered into an order ?

Usually a modification , if awarded takes effect from the date of filing as was said .

Sometimes though a lawyer or the Judge can pull a rabbit or two out out of the hat and the Judge award some relief on arrears.

BTW you petitioned , not ordered .

A Judge orders.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">