• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Modification of Child Support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MixMan

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

In accordance with my parental agreement and the State of Illinois guidelines I am paying 20% of my pay to my ex-wife (for one child). On top of that I am covering 50% of his school expenses, and another $ 200 per month in retroactive CS (long and complicated story that I don't want to discuss). Now some years later I have re-married to a different woman and we have a child together (with the new wife). Both of us are employed but it is still very difficult to manage. The question is would it even make sense to file for reduction of CS for my first child, or since 20% is the State requirement it will not be reduced and basically be money-wasted in attorney fees? Another question is 28% CS is ordered for 2 children in the State of Illinois. How exactly doe that work? Is that between children from different mothers, or if I had 2 kids with my ex- I'd have to pay her 28% CS?

Proserpina

In accordance with my parental agreement and the State of Illinois guidelines I am paying 20% of my pay to my ex-wife (for one child). On top of that I am covering 50% of his school expenses, and another $ 200 per month in retroactive CS (long and complicated story that I don't want to discuss). Now some years later I have re-married to a different woman and we have a child together (with the new wife). Both of us are employed but it is still very difficult to manage. The question is would it even make sense to file for reduction of CS for my first child, or since 20% is the State requirement it will not be reduced and basically be money-wasted in attorney fees? Another question is 28% CS is ordered for 2 children in the State of Illinois. How exactly doe that work? Is that between children from different mothers, or if I had 2 kids with my ex- I'd have to pay her 28% CS?

It's pretty clear.

And now that you've drawn attention to your post history, I'll go take a look.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
You couldn't find this yourself? http://www.childsupportillinois.com/general/calculating.html

It's pretty clear.

And now that you've drawn attention to your post history, I'll go take a look.
Thanks for the mention of p/x, Pro. Now I remember this guy...

Mixer - it's really pretty simple:

One mother one kid = 20%.
One mother, two kids = 28%
etc.

Two mothers, one kid each:
Mom1 gets 20%
Mom2 gets 20% Income after the above 20%

If Mom1 had two kids by you, she'd get 28% while Mom2 with one would get 20% of the Income minus the first 28%.

And so on and so forth.

To revisit the retroactive support you pay, your lawyer likely couldn't have done anything. You chose to pay without an order, thereby gifting her the money. Then, after filing, you chose to pay less than the CS calculator would have indicated your CS would likely be (or put that money aside). Nor did you do your research to know both that support is usually ordered back to the date of filing and that "gifts" prior to filing don't count. You shot yourself in the foot.

As for aftercare.... Would you prefer Mom to reduce her hours (and income) so she could be home with your son after school? No aftercare expense, but quite possibly a higher CS payment from you. And no, your wife watching him would likely not fly for quite a number of reasons.

single317dad

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">