• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Modification of child support order - IL

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

workingmomof2

What is the name of your state? Illinois

My ex quit his job because his employer could not longer afford to pay him. He had child support abated until he resumes employment. He currently lives off his girlfriend's income and works cash jobs occasionally. How can I get the court to order him to find a job and pay support?

snostar

workingmomof2 said:
What is the name of your state? Illinois

My ex quit his job because his employer could not longer afford to pay him. He had child support abated until he resumes employment. He currently lives off his girlfriend's income and works cash jobs occasionally. How can I get the court to order him to find a job and pay support?
The court is not going to order him to get a job. Does the order specify a time frame for the abatement?

workingmomof2 said:
The order only states that it's abated. No time frame.
I would seek an attorney, and bring the petition for child support again.... ask for reconsideration or a time limit for DAD to get a job....You could do this through your local State child support collection office....They do it free of charge but it will take much longer than having your own attorney....Your best bet is to bite the bullet and get your own attorney.....Good Luck to you!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">