• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Modification in Child Support in the State of Washington

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gelsysnyder

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington State.

I have hearing coming up against my ex for contempt in paying less amount in child support then agreed. So far he has not paid me for this month. He also failed to pay my gas expenses to take my child to Mexico so he could see our child. My lawyer is also going to request a modification in child support. The thing is that I signed an agreement through mediation in July of 2008 to accept way less in child support because I couldn't afford to go to trial. On the agreement it was put that he made 5000 when he really makes 10,000. My lawyer is going to request this modification due to the fact that my son is in a different age category then what was calculated. I was wondering if my sons disability could also be used as a substancial change. He is 12 and has severe traumatic brain injury. He is quadraplegic, has a g-tube and can not vocalize. He had this dissability when the mediation took place, but financially $550 is not covering my expenses to transport my child to Mexico so he could see his dad and his family. Also therapies are being payed out of my pocket because my insurance only provides a certain limit. It's been 6 months since our mediation agreement. I just need a second opinion of what my chances are that a judge would consider in modifying my son's child support.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington State.

I have hearing coming up against my ex for contempt in paying less amount in child support then agreed. So far he has not paid me for this month. He also failed to pay my gas expenses to take my child to Mexico so he could see our child. My lawyer is also going to request a modification in child support. The thing is that I signed an agreement through mediation in July of 2008 to accept way less in child support because I couldn't afford to go to trial. On the agreement it was put that he made 5000 when he really makes 10,000. My lawyer is going to request this modification due to the fact that my son is in a different age category then what was calculated. I was wondering if my sons disability could also be used as a substancial change. He is 12 and has severe traumatic brain injury. He is quadraplegic, has a g-tube and can not vocalize. He had this dissability when the mediation took place, but financially $550 is not covering my expenses to transport my child to Mexico so he could see his dad and his family. Also therapies are being payed out of my pocket because my insurance only provides a certain limit. It's been 6 months since our mediation agreement. I just need a second opinion of what my chances are that a judge would consider in modifying my son's child support.
What has changed since the mediation? You knew about the medical expenses, your son's disability and the travel required to Mexico when you made the agreement. YOu may not get anything changed since you just agreed in July 2008. Just because you agreed to a bad deal doesn't mean you have a substantial change in circumstance to get a modification.How do you know the income is double by the way? How can you PROVE that?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">