• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Modification and a "do nothing" lawyer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Squeakermom

What is the name of your state? Missouri

I have been a child support paying, non-custodial parent for 18 years. My oldest son (aged 20) came to live with me in February 2005 and I figured I was due a reduction in child support so I hired an attrorney to do the modification. I paid him his retainer in May 2005 - and as of yet, there has only been 1 exchange of letters between him and my ex-husbands lawyer. I am continuing to pay (through division of child support) my full child support amount. Now - my lawyer is NOT returning my calls (and if he does he is quite short and rude).

I am wondering if I have any recourse against this lawyer - and can i possibly get back any of the hundreds of dollars of extra child support I've paid.

Thank you for your helpWhat is the name of your state?

MrsK

If you are paying through the state (and it looks like you are), file for a reduction with them. You and your ex may need to sign some paperwork changing custody from him/her to you. And I'd get a new lawyer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">