• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Modification of medical support.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MommyNurse1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MN
My ex and I have joint custody with equal parenting time so there is no child support. He was previously ordered to pay $77/month for medical support and my premiums will be going up next year. He will now have to pay $100/month. I sent him emails prior to open enrollment to discuss the two plans that are available with no response. I also reminded him the Sunday prior to open enrollment closing that coming Friday about selecting an insurance plan and again recieved no response. I chose the medical plan that works best for me and let him know what the monthly cost would be by email with no response from him. At this time, he is behind one month in payments and I have not received payment for the month of December. I have sent him a reminder email with no response as of yet. My question is: Is it worth the time and expense to modify the medical support order? I feel as though I should have something to cover myself in case he tell me that he doesn't want to pay since he didn't agree to the plan that I chose. I will be doing this without an attorney as I was able to get the current order on my own. Is there anything that I can ask of from the judge to get him to pay me on time? I don't want to get the state involved for such a small monthly amount.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
What does your order actually state regarding the med support he is to pay? Word for word, please...

MommyNurse1

He is ordered to pay me the amount of $77.40 every month on the first for payment of medical premiums. I am obligated to maintain medical insurance and if I am unable then I need to contact him. I don't have a copy of the order in front of me but that is the gist of it. There is no child or spousal support.

MommyNurse1

what of the arrears? is there anything I can do to make him pay me not only on time but also on a regular basis? my only solution at this point is to get child support involved.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
He is ordered to pay me the amount of $77.40 every month on the first for payment of medical premiums. I am obligated to maintain medical insurance and if I am unable then I need to contact him. I don't have a copy of the order in front of me but that is the gist of it. There is no child or spousal support.
Is this the answer to my question? Answer = no. Please answer when you do have a copy of the order in front of you. It IS important.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">