• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Modification in Texas

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Phnx02

What is the name of your state? Texas
I am wondering if anyone on this board is from Texas and can tell me what the state allows in additional expenses.

Currently, I receive child support and my ex has to provide medical insurance for our son. I have filed for a modification thru the AG office. Ex has no other children. I would like to know if I can get 1/2 daycare expenses and possibly anything else written into the order like tutoring expenses, or accomodation school costs since my son is a special needs child and requires these things. I am also wondering about future college costs - can dad be asked to help pay for this? My ex makes alot of money but pays nothing extra beyond ordered child support.

king sol

CHILD SUPPORT: Either or both parents may be ordered to make periodic, lump-sum, or both type of child support payments. There are official child support guidelines set out in the statute and these are presumed to be reasonable and in the best interests of the child. The factors for consideration are: (1) the age and needs of the child; (2) the ability of the parents to contribute to the support of the child; (3) any financial resources available for the support of the child; (4) the amount of possession and access to the child; (5) the net resources of the parent to pay support, including the earning potential of the parent to pay support if the actual income is that parent is significantly less than what that parent could earn, if intentionally unemployed or underemployed; (6) any child care expenses necessary for the employment of either parent; (7) whether a parent has custody of another child and any child support expenses being paid or received for the care of another child; (8) the amount of alimony being currently paid or received; (9) provisions for health care; (10) any special educational or health care needs of the child; (11) any benefits a parent receives from an employer; (12) any debts or obligations of a parent; (13) any wage or salary deductions of the parents; (14) the cost of traveling to visit the child; (15) any positive or negative cash flow from any assets, including a business or investments; (16) any provisions for health care or insurance; (17) any special or extraordinary educational, health care, or other expenses of the parents or the child; and (18) any other relevant factor. The court may order health insurance coverage to be provided for the child. In addition, the court may order income withholding to secure the payment of child support. [Texas Codes Annotated; Family Code, Chapter 154.001-154.309].

Tinaa

I'm not sure what types of accomodations you are talking about. Your public school should provide all the accomodations and tutoring your child needs at school. Doubt you'll get any help for college expenses in Texas at this time since child support ends upon graduation of HS. Depends on the "special needs" of the child and the judge. Children are admitted into Special Education services for speech, learning disabilites, ADHD and other more serious disabilities, i.e. mental retardation. "Special needs" covers such a variety of topics, one would be hard-pressed to give you any type of answer.

ikecvfd2

Phnx02 said:
What is the name of your state? Texas
I am wondering if anyone on this board is from Texas and can tell me what the state allows in additional expenses.

Currently, I receive child support and my ex has to provide medical insurance for our son. I have filed for a modification thru the AG office. Ex has no other children. I would like to know if I can get 1/2 daycare expenses and possibly anything else written into the order like tutoring expenses, or accomodation school costs since my son is a special needs child and requires these things. I am also wondering about future college costs - can dad be asked to help pay for this? My ex makes alot of money but pays nothing extra beyond ordered child support.
As so many people on here like to point out whenever a NCP complains about the amount of support they pay; daycare, tutoring expenses, and school costs should already be included in the child support amount. If he is already paying the required child support, it is then your responsibility to make that work. As far as college goes, I seriously doubt he will be made to help pay for it. Heck, I don't plan on paying very much for my children's college either. I think it would mean more to them if they have to earn the money to pay for it themselves.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">