• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

modify very low child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mludwick7

What is the name of your state? California

I have 2 children and the father has married a wealthy woman. I receive $180.00 a month in support. I want to modify but the father has no job and is living off his wealthy wife she pays for everything, they travel and buy vacation homes. He has a considerable amoumt of money available to him. He lives like a king and we are not. Is her income a factor in this situation even though he has no job??? PLease help :mad:

Gracie3787

mludwick7 said:
What is the name of your state? California

I have 2 children and the father has married a wealthy woman. I receive $180.00 a month in support. I want to modify but the father has no job and is living off his wealthy wife she pays for everything, they travel and buy vacation homes. He has a considerable amoumt of money available to him. He lives like a king and we are not. Is her income a factor in this situation even though he has no job??? PLease help :mad:
No. her income isn't considered, just as the wealth, or lack of wealth, of any spouse of yours isn't either.

The court can impute income to your ex if he isn't working, but they will impute to him as to what he used to earn, or could earn.

It is very maddening, but what if the shoe were on the other foot- if you were married to a wealthy man, would you feel it was okay for your ex to pay less because of it?

$180.00 a month is very low, if the order is years old, you may want to file for a modification anyway.
Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">