• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Money Judgement/Willful non-payment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

I just received all the court paperwork in the mail for my last visit to Family court. Between my lawyer, the judge and the paperwork, I still have a big question in regards to the judgement. I called the state CSE hotline, and they couldn't answer my question, and suggested I call the county CSE. I called the county CSE, and they have a recorded message saying they don't accept phone calls or walk-ins, and that any questions should be directed at the State CSE. My lawyer was provided by the county free of charge, but after court, he informed me that after the hearing he is no longer being paid, so any further questions should be directed at... you guessed it... NYS CSE.

Anyway...

The paperwork says,
"ORDERED that the judgement be entered in favor of (Petitioner) against (respondent) in the amount of $1088.62 plus interest..." It goes on to say the respondent is sentenced to 30 in jail for non-compliance with the order. HOWEVER, no where does it say *when the $1088.62 needs to be paid* to avoid jail.

I have another judgement rendered on the same day that says, the respondent failed to obey a court order (the one that says he pays weekly support in the amount of $32.50 to NYS CSE) and, "ORDERED that the Respondent is hereby sentenced to 30 days in the X County Jail for such violation, which sentence is suspended upon the condition that the Respondent shall be in compliance with all terms and conditions of said order..."

Again it doesn't say at what point he has officially violated the order and can be put in jail. I called the county family court, and the person I spoke with said they *thought* it could mean he would be put in jail after missing one payment, but I should call NYS CSE to be sure.:(

He was also convicted of willful non-payment in March and I was awarded a judgement of $856 at that time, but again no due date...

I really don't *want* him to go to jail, as he can't pay child support from jail, however since the threat of jail hasn't motivated him to pay, maybe the threat of going again may. I truly don't expect him to come up with $1,088 right away obviously, but $32.50 isn't too difficult. The one piece of info I was able to get from NYS CSE was, that I am the one who is to notify them of non-payment. NYS CSE won't do anything without me contacting them and letting them know of a violation. So, I kind of need to know when I am supposed to notify them.

If what the family court person told me is true, and he can be reported after missing one payment, then I need to report him tomorrow. But I'm uneasy about not giving him any leeway. OTOH, I spent our relationship being his personal doormat, so I'm not sure he has earned the privilege of leeway.:confused:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You don't need to "report" him - you would need to take him to court for contempt. Much different...

You don't need to "report" him - you would need to take him to court for contempt. Much different...
We were just in court on Friday for two trials and he was found guilty of contempt... twice. From what the (incredibly unhelpful) person on the NYS CSE helpline said that if he violates the order, I call them, and they notify Family court of his contempt. (I think.)

LdiJ

We were just in court on Friday for two trials and he was found guilty of contempt... twice. From what the (incredibly unhelpful) person on the NYS CSE helpline said that if he violates the order, I call them, and they notify Family court of his contempt. (I think.)
I agree, he has already been found in contempt and already sentenced to jail. He is being given a chance to avoid jail by paying up and keeping current. As soon as he doesn't do that, you need to report him so that they will go ahead and put him in jail.

mistoffolees

The paperwork says,
"ORDERED that the judgement be entered in favor of (Petitioner) against (respondent) in the amount of $1088.62 plus interest..." It goes on to say the respondent is sentenced to 30 in jail for non-compliance with the order. HOWEVER, no where does it say *when the $1088.62 needs to be paid* to avoid jail.
One site that I found says that in NY, a judgment must be paid within 30 days to avoid jail.
How do I collect on a judgement

This page also gives some ideas for collection.

nachobaybe

I have a question for riversong

How did you prove it was "willful" in court? I am dealing with the same type of situation. THX!

I have a question for riversong

How did you prove it was "willful" in court? I am dealing with the same type of situation. THX!
I'm actually not sure. LOL The judge asked him if he was employed and he said no. He said he was applying for disability and was in treatment for drug abuse. After he said that at 4 hearings, the judge (apparently) lost patience with him.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
From what the (incredibly unhelpful) person on the NYS CSE helpline...
I think you're really misplacing your anger. You are asking questions of the CSE folks that they may not even allowed to answer, as it touches on practicing law without a license. It's not that they're being intentionally unhelpful, rather, your questions are not properly asked of them.

I think you're really misplacing your anger. You are asking questions of the CSE folks that they may not even allowed to answer, as it touches on practicing law without a license. It's not that they're being intentionally unhelpful, rather, your questions are not properly asked of them.
Perhaps. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that they are *intentionally* unhelpful, just that they were, in fact, unhelpful. I'm not sure how to ask "When am I supposed to contact you with a report of a violation?" any other way.

In their defense (kind of) they have no information about my case at all. So they can't answer a question about something they know nothing about.

nachobaybe

What was the name of the judge who gave you the ruling of jail time? I am wondering because my case is also a NY case.

He is facing jail time because of how long he has gone without paying or for the amount. There are certain grounds for it becoming fit for a jail time ruling.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">