• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mother of 1

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jessica0919

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana. My daughter is 11 years old and I have been separated from her father since she was 4. A few years ago we agreed he would pay 25$ a week in child support because that is all he said we could pay. Fine with me, until recently. He now has 3 other children and one on the way and is no longer able to pay the 25$/agreed upon due to him being sued for back child support. What is the minimum per week for child support? I've considered taking him to court to file, however he lives in South Carolina...are the child support laws different from state to state?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana. My daughter is 11 years old and I have been separated from her father since she was 4. A few years ago we agreed he would pay 25$ a week in child support because that is all he said we could pay. Fine with me, until recently. He now has 3 other children and one on the way and is no longer able to pay the 25$/agreed upon due to him being sued for back child support. What is the minimum per week for child support? I've considered taking him to court to file, however he lives in South Carolina...are the child support laws different from state to state?
W/o a child support order through the court/CS Services, he isn't obligated to pay anything. Unfortunately, since it seems another mother got an order before you, the amount he would have to pay you will be calculated AFTER the amount he is ordered to pay for the other kid(s) is deducted from his income.

Unless a SC court has issued orders previously in matters related to custody, visitation, child support or other such matters related to your daughter which it does not sound like it has, you can file for support in Indiana family court since that's where your daughter has residency.

single317dad

A practical minimum for Indiana will be around $50/wk, though the amount is entirely dependent on the incomes of both parents, amount of overnights spent in each parent's home, who pays health insurance and child care, and other support orders in place. Support could be ordered at $1/wk if that's how the calculations play out, though in practice it probably wouldn't be.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">