• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mother of child still married. Can I relinquish parental rights for best interest

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam H

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I am trying to see if I can give up parental rights because it would be in the best interest of the child considering the situation. My wife and I are still married and the child's mom is still married. Child was conceived while she was married and they are still married. The mother of child wasn't seeking support at first but when I blocked her from all communications she filed and even emailed my wife to let her know that she had filed because I blocked her. What can I do in this situation? I live in Louisiana.

justalayman

you cannot unilaterally relinquish your parental position.

is the mother intending on remaining married to her husband? Is he willing to consider adoption?

how old is the child?

and in case you didn't notice, your post makes it look like you are a lot more concerned with the financial situation that just popped up than the child's best interest.

I'mTheFather

The husband in an intact marriage is the legal father of the child. If he hasn't legally challenged the paternity of the child, then filing for child support should go nowhere.

justalayman

The husband in an intact marriage is the legal father of the child. If he hasn't legally challenged the paternity of the child, then filing for child support should go nowhere.
who said the marriage of the mother is intact? OP said they are still married. That does not mean anything more than they have not divorced. They may not live together; they may have separated for some period of time and reconciled. Who knows?

ah, OP knows but so far they are saying.

Sam H

who said the marriage of the mother is intact? OP said they are still married. That does not mean anything more than they have not divorced. They may not live together; they may have separated for some period of time and reconciled. Who knows?

They are still happily married and living together and per the mother he loves child like she is his own.

Sam H

you cannot unilaterally relinquish your parental position.

is the mother intending on remaining married to her husband? Is he willing to consider adoption?

how old is the child?

and in case you didn't notice, your post makes it look like you are a lot more concerned with the financial situation that just popped up than the child's best interest.
Yes they are intending to stay married and the child is 10 months old. I never said anything about not paying child support I said to give up my parental rights. There is a difference.

TinkerBelleLuvr

You would be best served by having your case reviewed by an attorney. The current legal father is the HUSBAND of the woman with whom you had an affair.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It seems to me that the mother of the child has filed to establish paternity and child support...

TinkerBelleLuvr

Because there is a current legal father in this case, he is best served with the use of an attorney. It's not quite a simple as she files - the current legal father must be removed.

I'mTheFather

The second sentence addressed that.

Honestly, I doubt the mother actually filed for child support. I think she's mad and lashed out.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The second sentence addressed that.

Honestly, I doubt the mother actually filed for child support. I think she's mad and lashed out.
You may be right, but the OP did say that the mother of the child "filed". Perhaps the OP should make sure of what's going on...

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I'm sorry - I couldn't get past the fact that neither of this child's parents have an issue with adultery. Nor, apparently, do the stepparents. All four of them need to get snipped and keep their parts wrapped (nothing is 100%).

Poor kid.

Pinkie39

I just looked up, in Websters, the meaning of Dirtbag and you name was there. I was sooo surprised.
I wouldn't give the mother a free pass though, either. She knowingly cheated on her husband with a married man. Bad enough to cheat, but why make it into even more of a mess by not using birth control?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">