• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

mother doesn't think she should pay c/s

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wedgawoo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington
My husband has joint custody of his 15 yr old son. They do a 50/50 split, alternating weeks & we pay her $100 per month in child support. He & I have 3 children together. His ex recently told us that she is moving to Minnesota (in less than 6 weeks) to be with her new (very new) boyfriend and she is ok with leaving their son here to live with us full time. She proposed to us a parenting plan which allows her most all of their sons vacation time from school- which is fine- and most of the summer- which is ok too. However, she recieves a food card (EBT) from the state in the amount of like 100 bucks and she offered to let us use that as some form of payment to help with having their son full time (which is totally illegal). She also offered to get a prepaid visa for their son and said that she planned on putting money on the card for their son each month (but not a specific amount) for things that he might need when he asks her for it. During our discussion with her my husband explained that he felt that she needed to follow the same Wa State child support laws that he had to follow when establishing child support for her and she literally flipped her lid and accused us of only caring about money & the discussion ended real quick. To give you a little history, about 2 years ago we went to trial over these same issues. When their son was about 10 they agreed to "Joint" & 50/50 for all expenses and had their agreement notarized and she called support enforcement to stop garnishment (he was paying 260 while the pp said he had their son every other weekend, this was prior to the Joint arrangement) We all got along great until she decided to move almost 2 hrs away with a new boyfriend (not the current one) and she took their son because the LEGAL pp said my husband only had every other weekend visitation(remember they only notarized a paper & didn't do anything through the court) so naturally he took their notarized 'Joint agreement & 50/50 expenses' to an attorney and he requested a modification to support the Joint. After she was served these papers and forced to move their son back to where we could continue joint until a trial, she reopened the child support and claimed that we had agreed to pay her 'directly' and that was why she stopped the garnishment. Luckily we had the notarized doc (and so many other pieces of evidence) that said otherwise, but she honestly fought this issue and tried collecting over 2 yrs of back support because during that time there was a legit court order for him to pay, even though they agreed otherwise. Luckily at the trial we weren't ordered to pay a dime, however a new child support amount was set according to the Joint custody because we made more money than she did, but of course it wasn't very much money because we have him equal amount of time & provide his medical insurance. So anyway, my point is... we learned a valuable lesson which is whatever agreements that get made, need to be done through the courts with the stamp of a Judge. Now that she is leaving the state in a few weeks, she wants us to just sign and notarize a new agreement... and she DOES NOT want to have a legal child support order for her to pay a set amount each month. She just wants to send her son money as she sees fit. Is this crazy or is it just me??? What if she just leaves without finalizing all this stuff and my husbands checks keep getting garnished while she's living across the country and their son is with us FULL time. We don't know what to do because we don't agree with her financial proposal at all. Ugh. Any advice?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
My advice? Have your husband post for himself. When it comes to these situations, there is no "we". There is only a He and a She. You are neither of those.

Thanks, and make it a wonderful day.

mistoffolees

My advice? Have your husband post for himself. When it comes to these situations, there is no "we". There is only a He and a She. You are neither of those.

Thanks, and make it a wonderful day.
And there will definitely be good advice for him - there are a lot of options.

Wedgawoo

I understand that and I would agree with you, however when I said "we" I was talking about when "we" had to go to court and when "we" had to pay because that was the case. The court involved me in this senario. I didn't say "we" had custody, he does. These decisions are most definitely between my husband and his ex... with that said we are talking about a BM that is up and moving away from her child because she 'wants to be happy' (her words). So I am in a position that I didn't ask for, but am willing to accept. My stepson and I have a great relationship- I've been with his dad since he was just 4 yrs old, he is now 15. I know I am not his mother, and he knows that. We are very much a family and I'm grateful that we're all so close. If you don't want to give any advice here you certainly don't have to. My husband never ever uses the computer so it's unlikey he would get on here and ask a bunch of strangers for advice... he's set on how he feels about the child support & I agree with him. I just thought that it would be nice to know if others in this kind of situation would have any advice for us (and yes, I do mean "us") because we want to be fair and we want what is best for their son. The mother is tappin out and we want this transition to go smoothly & make sure we're doing the right thing. That's all.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
I understand that and I would agree with you, however when I said "we" I was talking about when "we" had to go to court and when "we" had to pay because that was the case. The court involved me in this senario. I didn't say "we" had custody, he does. These decisions are most definitely between my husband and his ex... with that said we are talking about a BM that is up and moving away from her child because she 'wants to be happy' (her words). So I am in a position that I didn't ask for, but am willing to accept. My stepson and I have a great relationship- I've been with his dad since he was just 4 yrs old, he is now 15. I know I am not his mother, and he knows that. We are very much a family and I'm grateful that we're all so close. If you don't want to give any advice here you certainly don't have to. My husband never ever uses the computer so it's unlikey he would get on here and ask a bunch of strangers for advice... he's set on how he feels about the child support & I agree with him. I just thought that it would be nice to know if others in this kind of situation would have any advice for us (and yes, I do mean "us") because we want to be fair and we want what is best for their son. The mother is tappin out and we want this transition to go smoothly & make sure we're doing the right thing. That's all.
So because your husband doesn't want to use the computer and in fact already has his mind made up about this situation, you've decided to come and spread his business all over the interwebs to satisfy your curiousity. :rolleyes::rolleyes: :cool:

Wedgawoo

you know what, you don't have to be rude. I believe I am free to ask for advice on here even if I am only the stepmom.

Humusluvr

you know what, you don't have to be rude. I believe I am free to ask for advice on here even if I am only the stepmom.
Take it to court. Do it legally. If she's leaving the state, things will change with her food stamp situation.

(Don't call her BM, that's considered very rude here. There is one mom and it's her.)

Wedgawoo

You know what, we are free not to give advice to legal strangers.
then please don't. honestly, I just want to make sure that what my husband and I see as is fair, really is. If you don't want to offer up any advice or opinions on "this matter" that I wrote about then please don't. I just read some other posts, one of which was one that a "stepmom" posted and I'm getting the feeling that stepmoms aren't really welcome on this site to ask questions.

mistoffolees

I understand that and I would agree with you, however when I said "we" I was talking about when "we" had to go to court and when "we" had to pay because that was the case. The court involved me in this senario.
Then tell us the exact wording of the court order that made you a party to the case.

Hint: I'll bet you can't because the court most certainly did NOT make you a party to the case.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
then please don't. honestly, I just want to make sure that what my husband and I see as is fair, really is. If you don't want to offer up any advice or opinions on "this matter" that I wrote about then please don't. I just read some other posts, one of which was one that a "stepmom" posted and I'm getting the feeling that stepmoms aren't really welcome on this site to ask questions.
Step-parents are MORE than welcome to ask questions. It's just when step-parents become over-stepping, then there is a problem.

Wedgawoo

Take it to court. Do it legally. If she's leaving the state, things will change with her food stamp situation.

(Don't call her BM, that's considered very rude here. There is one mom and it's her.)
Thank you for that!
(and thank you for telling me this, I didn't know.)

Wedgawoo

Then tell us the exact wording of the court order that made you a party to the case.

Hint: I'll bet you can't because the court most certainly did NOT make you a party to the case.
I said when "we" had to go to court & "we" had to pay... I was involved in all of that stuff, I had to meet with the GAL also... I didn't ask to, but I had to. I had to stand in trial... I didn't ask to, but I had to. I had to do a financial declaration which was used to help determine the amount of child support. I didn't ask to, I had to. That's what I was talking about. Is my name on the legal documents? Of course not. Maybe you misunderstood me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">