• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mother lied on Acknowledgement of Paternity form.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jhawk0731

Ohio. I was lied to about conception date, and signed an Acknowledgement of Paternity Affidavit (which is supposed to be for unmarried mothers ONLY. She's married, I am not) thinking the child was mine. Now the child is 1 1/2 years old and looks identical to the other potential biological dad (a family friend who stayed with us and impregnated the mom while I was at work). Neither of them mentioned they had sex, and I was told I was the father (even though we used condoms). The mother was/is married to an additional male that should have been presumed father, and should have been on the birth certificate. Now child support is coming after me, and I just recently realized the child can't be mine.I am petitioning paternity through a DNA test, and was told it is already established by an incompetent customer service rep for the county, even though another rep sent me the form and said I could. This is paternity fraud, and I was told it has to go to the juvenile court. I am going to contact a caseworker tomorrow, and need to know my rights. Is it plausible to make the biological dad pay, instead of the me (the one lied to)?

Proserpina

Ohio. I was lied to about conception date, and signed an Acknowledgement of Paternity Affidavit (which is supposed to be for unmarried mothers ONLY. She's married, I am not) thinking the child was mine. Now the child is 1 1/2 years old and looks identical to the other potential biological dad (a family friend who stayed with us and impregnated the mom while I was at work). Neither of them mentioned they had sex, and I was told I was the father (even though we used condoms). The mother was/is married to an additional male that should have been presumed father, and should have been on the birth certificate. Now child support is coming after me, and I just recently realized the child can't be mine.I am petitioning paternity through a DNA test, and was told it is already established by an incompetent customer service rep for the county, even though another rep sent me the form and said I could. This is paternity fraud, and I was told it has to go to the juvenile court. I am going to contact a caseworker tomorrow, and need to know my rights. Is it plausible to make the biological dad pay, instead of the me (the one lied to)?
You signed the form without a DNA test - you had the option to refuse.

No, you aren't going to be suing anyone else for paternity; you don't have standing to do any such thing.

And the "incompetent" rep? S/he was correct. Paternity has already been established. You can't file to establish paternity again.

Jhawk0731

You signed the form without a DNA test - you had the option to refuse.

No, you aren't going to be suing anyone else for paternity; you don't have standing to do any such thing.

And the "incompetent" rep? S/he was correct. Paternity has already been established. You can't file to establish paternity again.

The reps are incompetent, disconnect live chat, and then play stupid. It wasn't properly established, as the law requires, which is why it is being questioned. I'm talking about rescinding it, not reestablishing. Thanks for your opinion.

Last edited:

Silverplum

The reps are incompetent, and disconnect live chat, and then play stupid. It wasn't properly established, as the law requires, which is why it is being questioned. Thanks for your opinion.
Did you think we have the power to do anything about the reps?

Silverplum

What part of the law gives you an out?

http://www.odjfs.state.oh.us/forms/file.asp?id=1329&type=application/pdf

Proserpina

The reps are incompetent, disconnect live chat, and then play stupid. It wasn't properly established, as the law requires, which is why it is being questioned. I'm talking about rescinding it, not reestablishing. Thanks for your opinion.
You'll need to challenge paternity (and not establish it, which is what YOU told us you were doing). Expect Mom to either play the innocent, or allege that you knew fine well you weren't the father and signed it anyway, perpetuating the fraud.

I suspect you won't be able to prove that Mom lied to you (it's going to be her word against yours, obviously). But even if that wasn't the case, you still wouldn't have standing to sue the other guy for anything.

And you're very welcome. :cool:

I am petitioning paternity through a DNA test, and was told it is already established by an incompetent customer service rep for the county, even though another rep sent me the form and said I could.

Silverplum

You'll need to challenge paternity (and not establish it, which is what YOU told us you were doing). Expect Mom to either play the innocent, or allege that you knew fine well you weren't the father and signed it anyway, perpetuating the fraud.

I suspect you won't be able to prove that Mom lied to you (it's going to be her word against yours, obviously). But even if that wasn't the case, you still wouldn't have standing to sue the other guy for anything.

It's too late for OP. :cool:

Jhawk0731

The fact she had the child tested for an auto-immune disease I have, because I am the father, is proof and I can provide additional proof. I wouldn't be surprised if she pulled more drama, but don't doubt I'll have valid rebuttals. I know it needs challenged, was wondering if anyone who has been through something similar would recommend going through CSEA, juvenile court, or another channel, as the hold time for representatives can be extremely long.

Proserpina

The fact she had the child tested for an auto-immune disease I have, because I am the father, is proof and I can provide additional proof.
What do you believe that proves?

I wouldn't be surprised if she pulled more drama, but don't doubt I'll have valid rebuttals. I know it needs challenged, was wondering if anyone who has been through something similar would recommend going through CSEA, juvenile court, or another channel, as the hold time for representatives can be extremely long.
I'd start calling early in the morning if I were you. You're going to be gravely disappointed, but that's your right.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">