• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mother will not acknowledge direct payments

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

u0088782

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

My ex-GF filed for child support in October without telling me. I was never properly served - the process server served my old neighbor who is a close friend of my ex. She didn't tell me (not sure if she was complicit in this scam). Somehow the judge accepted it. I was completely unaware there was even a hearing. Child Support Services (CSS) couldn't find any W-2s for me so they calculated the child support based on minimum wage (I make much more than that). So the court ordered that I pay $288/month. All correspondence was mailed to our old address so I wasn't aware of any of this until May.

In the meantime, my ex and I made several attempts at reconciliation. During that period I directly paid her rent, auto expenses, and provided a credit card for groceries etc... From October to present I have paid approximately $15K in direct child support. CSS told me she needs to sign off on a form acknowledging that I made direct payments. She is refusing. Furthermore I just had to pay CSS over $3K to get them off my back for the $288/mo and interest that has been accruing for 9 months. My only recourse is to take her to court and prove that I made the payments directly.

It has now become clear to me that she is scamming me and the system. She claims she doesn't have a job, but in fact has been earning cash under the table all the while. She is also collecting from me and the state. If I go to court, she is going to have to reveal all this or purger herself. They will also go after her for all the payments they made to her since I was paying directly. Unfortunately she is a completely irrational and unreasonable person. She has refused my offer to increase the payment to $800/mo. She is delusional and somehow thinks I'm supposed to pay her $1500-2000/month. I ran the calculations with our case officer and I should be paying about $660/mo. so my offer is very generous. The really odd thing is CSS won't increase my payment unless one of us petitions. He also advised me not to do anything about it until I settle the issue with her not acknowledging my direct payments. He also stated that there is no way they can go back to October and recalculate the amount I owe, even though my income is in fact higher. He's not an attorney though so I cannot accept everything he says as gospel.

So I really have 2 questions:

1) Is it true that the child support payments will never change unless one of us asks for a hearing? If so, it would seem every day she does nothing, she loses out.
2) Is there any way the court will go back and recalculate my child support since last October i.e. retroactively raise it from $288/mo to $660/mo.

I want to amicably resolve this with my ex but I need to be prepared if she continues to be unreasonable.

Last edited:

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

My ex-GF filed for child support in October without telling me.
Well, she didn't actually have an obligation to tell you.

I was never properly served - the process server served my old neighbor who is a close friend of my ex. She didn't tell me (not sure if she was complicit in this scam). Somehow the judge accepted it. I was completely unaware there was even a hearing. Child Support Services (CSS) couldn't find any W-2s for me so they calculated the child support based on minimum wage (I make much more than that). So the court ordered that I pay $288/month. All correspondence was mailed to our old address so I wasn't aware of any of this until May.
That's unfortunate. But in this case it apparently worked in your favor.

In the meantime, my ex and I made several attempts at reconciliation. During that period I directly paid her rent, auto expenses, and provided a credit card for groceries etc... From October to present I have paid approximately $15K in direct child support. CSS told me she needs to sign off on a form acknowledging that I made direct payments. She is refusing. Furthermore I just had to pay CSS over $3K to get them off my back for the $288/mo and interest that has been accruing for 9 months. My only recourse is to take her to court and prove that I made the payments directly.
You may find that the minus the $288, all you did was gift her a lot of extras.

It has now become clear to me that she is scamming me and the system. She claims she doesn't have a job, but in fact has been earning cash under the table all the while. She is also collecting from me and the state.
Proof?

If I go to court, she is going to have to reveal all this or purger herself.
"I have no idea what he's talking about, your honor". Your response will be ... what?

They will also go after her for all the payments they made to her since I was paying directly.
No they won't. You gave her lots of gifts.

Unfortunately she is a completely irrational and unreasonable person.
Sometimes we pick the strangest people to be parents to our child/ren.

She has refused my offer to increase the payment to $800/mo. She is delusional and somehow thinks I'm supposed to pay her $1500-2000/month. I ran the calculations with our case officer and I should be paying about $660/mo. so my offer is very generous.
I agree - you're being incredibly generous. I have no idea what she's thinking though.

The really odd thing is CSS won't increase my payment unless one of us petitions. He also advised me not to do anything about it until I settle the issue with her not acknowledging my direct payments. He also stated that there is no way they can go back to October and recalculate the amount I owe, even though my income is in fact higher. He's not an attorney though so I cannot accept everything he says as gospel.
He's correct - the court will only go back to the date of filing the modification.

So I really have 2 questions:

1) Is it true that the child support payments will never change unless one of us asks for a hearing? If so, it would seem every day she does nothing, she loses out.
Yep, that's true. But truthfully, it's your child who loses out - not Mom.

2) Is there any way the court will go back and recalculate my child support since last October i.e. retroactively raise it from $288/mo to $660/mo.
Nope. Not allowed.

I want to amicably resolve this with my ex but I need to be prepared if she continues to be unreasonable.
Get yourself into court, and get a court order. They protect ALL of you - and specially your child.

u0088782

Thank you very much for the thoughtful and detailed answers!

Well, she didn't actually have an obligation to tell you.
I supposed she had no LEGAL obligation but considering I was making about $1500/month in direct payments AND we were sleeping together again, I'd say it was an incredibly sh!tty thing to do...

Proof?

"I have no idea what he's talking about, your honor". Your response will be ... what?
I have numerous text messages from her such as "I can't meet you tomorrow. I have to work." She even sent me a text stating she needs to change jobs because she is being paid cash and the state is requiring her to get a "real" job to continue to collect benefits. Also by refusing to sign the paper that I have been making direct payments, she is willfully defrauding the state. The CSS officer said they rarely prosecute for that though.

No they won't. You gave her lots of gifts.
Yes they will. Our CSS case officer told me that once the courts accepts my proof of direct payment, then they will refund my payments and then go after her for the benefits that she collected from the state. Someone has to reimburse them...

Yep, that's true. But truthfully, it's your child who loses out - not Mom.
I directly paid about $1500/mo. for nearly 10 months so the child has not been losing out. Going forward, the $288/mo. will impact my child but it's entirely her fault, not mine. I am not going to pay a penny more than what is legally required UNTIL I get full credit for all my direct payments. I have to protect my rights...

Proserpina

Thank you very much for the thoughtful and detailed answers!

I supposed she had no LEGAL obligation but considering I was making about $1500/month in direct payments AND we were sleeping together again, I'd say it was an incredibly sh!tty thing to do...

I have numerous text messages from her such as "I can't meet you tomorrow. I have to work." She even sent me a text stating she needs to change jobs because she is being paid cash and the state is requiring her to get a "real" job to continue to collect benefits. Also by refusing to sign the paper that I have been making direct payments, she is willfully defrauding the state. The CSS officer said they rarely prosecute for that though.

Yes they will. Our CSS case officer told me that once the courts accepts my proof of direct payment, then they will refund my payments and then go after her for the benefits that she collected from the state. Someone has to reimburse them...

I directly paid about $1500/mo. for nearly 10 months so the child has not been losing out. Going forward, the $288/mo. will impact my child but it's entirely her fault, not mine. I am not going to pay a penny more than what is legally required UNTIL I get full credit for all my direct payments. I have to protect my rights...

You're going to be in for a very unpleasant surprise, I'm afraid. I suggest you go and pay an attorney to tell you what you want to hear.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">