• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mother withholding child support from daughter.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

moto301

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I have a friend who's father paid child support but her mother is withholding it from her. She is 21 and her mother said she was keeping it to pay for her college. My friend is going to school and paid for everything so far out of pocket and her mother hasn't given her any of the money. I was just asking if it is legal for her to do this and if not what course of action should my friend take?

Isis1

I have a friend who's father paid child support but her mother is withholding it from her. She is 21 and her mother said she was keeping it to pay for her college. My friend is going to school and paid for everything so far out of pocket and her mother hasn't given her any of the money. I was just asking if it is legal for her to do this and if not what course of action should my friend take?
what mom is doing is not only specifically legal, but morally correct.

child support is BY LAW to reimburse the parent for costs of rasing the child. the 21 year old adult friend, can get herself a job. she is not legally entitled to that money.

Perky

Well, child support belongs to the parent, not the child. Why does your friend think she's entitled to it?

Antigone*

In California the child's mother is lucky to still be getting support. As you've already been told child support is meant to reimburse the parent for the expenses of bring her up.

Your friend has not rights to this money. The neat thing is that if mom feels like it she could have a man and pedi every time she gets paid and that would be quite legal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">